Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

J.P. AR-10 carrier with buffer weight warning!!!

kurtm

Hey everyone, if you are installing  the new J.P. Enterprises AR-10 carrier with buffer weights on it, YOU MUST REMOVE THE BUFFER RETAINER PLUNGER AND SPRING!!! The directions say that this is optional....BUT IT IS NOT!!!!! If you don't, the plunger will get stuck between the first weights in the stack and you WILL have to take the stock off and use a small pick to depress the plunger. Thankfully I had the stuff to do it, otherwise it would be a screaming bitch to fix!! The directions say this is optional.....BUT IT IS NOT!!!!! Remove the detent!!!!!!

The problem with the AR-10  we were working on was that once installed the bolt only went as far forward as the first weight on the carrier and locked up. You couldn't take the upper off because the bolt was locked up half way open. We had to unscrew the buffer tube and reach in from the back to depress the plunger. There is no way you could leave it in there as the gun will not operate at all!!! Glad your AR-15 works with it....although I'm  not so sure we are talking about a carrier with dead blow weights machined on it like the AR-10, but either way, your gun won't function at all, and have to be screwed apart if you don't  take the detention out first!!!

The same guys who value being able to drop the upper to access the bolt carrier group and lower parts without trying to fight a spring and plunger that wants to squirt out without it, under stress! ;) 

If a rifle is properly set up at no time is there any stress on this part......but you got to know how. Maybe quit building rifles in the basement without a good understanding of what you are doing would help. :lol:

Funny, I have heard of this happening now for over 30 years, but I have never seen one break. Not once, not ever. I guess I just don't  go to enough matches, or shoot ARs enough. I guess I'll have to get out and try this.crazy new sport of 3-gun to see what it,s about. ;)

I have heard of this Kurt Miller of which you speak. He is like the boogeyman that you tell people about to keep them from shooting Limited at Fallen Brethren when that is exactly the class that they should/want to shoot.....

I had a billet lower that must have been slightly soft... the hole got oval shaped and the plunger got out and somehow managed to get inside the tube with the buffer! Never figured out how, but the rifle still worked just fine.