Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vih. N 310 / 320 ??

TANFARM

Was at the range discussing loads with another shooter and we were on the subject of powder. He suggested I try Vih. N310 to replace my 320 ?  Swore it shot cleaner , smoother .........any experiences......I've got a load of 320 to go through but always learning....or trying to ! Thanks 

Fast? It is the FASTEST powder commonly available any where.

I find N310 to produce pressure spikes in .45 Auto and .38 Spl, is only accurate over maybe +/- 0.05gn, and is not even consistently accurate at that. You don't want to make ANY mistake metering/weighing it, particularly not in a cartridge like 9x19.

N320 is a much better choice.

Ive played with 310 a little in 9mm but can get any kind of accuracy with it at all.  Targets look like shotgun patterns, switch back to 320 and accuracy is excellent again.  It is super soft though. 

Ive had a little better results in some .40 loads, and it does pretty good in .45.  I am still on the first lb Ive ever had and will not be buying any more.

N310 is in the same boat as Nitro100.  This is a super fast-burning powder intended for low pressure cartridges like .45, not high pressure cartridges like 9mm Luger.  People do it, but people do all sorts of dumb crap chasing the softest loads possible.  There's a reason that Viht doesn't publish load data for 9mm Luger with N310.  

in a CZ Accu-Shadow:  147 Blue Bullet  2.7gn N310 @ 1.140 129 PF.  If you don't know what you are doing you can get into trouble fast.:o   N310 is also good for sub minor steel challenge loads, 115 Blue Bullet 3.2gn N310 @ 1.140  115PF you will need a lighter recoil spring.   In a Wilson Combat AR9 14.5" barrel:  147 Blue Bullet 2.5gn N310 @ 1.130  130Pf, oh so soft shooting.:D

On 10/18/2016 at 6:24 PM, ano said:

some guns/barrels LOVE it, some dont

I use n310 in 9mm, 38spl and 45acp 

N310 in .40 for major.. now thats interesting (dont do it) 

Why?

Been using it for quite awhile now, Brandon from SVI recommended it, 4.4 grains at 1.20" on a 180 Montana Gold JHP gives a 169.2 PF and very accurate, many times 2 shots on a target are covered with one paster.