Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Alpha Alpha-X holster

anbrumm

Thank you. I do like my holster not so close to my hip, same time I wish Racemaster main screw will hold the holster better without come lose time to time, even with blue Loctite.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, osw333 said:

Can anyone tell me on the Alpha x holster, do they all have that space on the holder on top left of picture?

I checked mine when I got home today. In the right light, mine has just the slightest of gap. It looks like yours goes further down. 

I had 2 respond from double aa.
One was it's normal to have that the space, don't effect the function. They all looks that way.
Two was I put together hundreds a day and they all don't look like that.
I'm confused, my Race master was seemless, this one looks had poor worksman ship, little disappointed from the company.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sorry for the terrible pic, and I can try and take another when it is light out. Here is mine. It doesn't look nearly as bad as yours. 

IM4JTVQ.jpg?1

Edited by anbrumm

Interesting.  I have both and prefer the Alpha.  It is more rigid and does not come loose during matches.  No matter how tightly you make the screws on the RM, something eventually works loose.  The Alpha is more comfortable, because you do not have the pad rubbing on your leg.  I'll use the Alpha for USPSA and the RM with my TS for SC.

Sometimes you all look at things with microscopes when it should be with beer goggles.  Yes it's $240, no it's not going to lock up like a $4,000 gun.  It works as intended and after some dry fire it's going to have scratches.  

My my only issue is during the draw it rolls inward and partially can bind slightly. It's probably because I draw hard out of the holster. 

Edited by ScottieShootz

On 3/17/2017 at 8:50 PM, Edge40 said:

If you have your race master set up perfect I would say its not worth it unless your a total gear head and have to have the newest thing.  The block in the holster in the same part so it works exactly the same.  The alpha x is superior in that you can remove it from the belt and put it back without removing the hanger or losing your adjustments.  This I think would be nice for traveling where you would have to pack in in a bag and were worried about damage.  The other advantage is getting the holster in the perfect position.  It is much easier to do this with the alpha x but if your race master is perfect there is really zero advantage there.  Just remember that there is nothing different with the actual retention device its exactly the same.  The heart of the holster has not changed.   

You can also buy just the belt attachment for the RM That allows you to remove the holster from the belt without losing your adjustments... I bought one last year and it works great. 

11 minutes ago, warpcorps said:

You can also buy just the belt attachment for the RM That allows you to remove the holster from the belt without losing your adjustments... I bought one last year and it works great. 

Yes you can take the entire assembly off but the alpha x lets you remove just the block and holster and leave the belt attachment you lose zero settings and there is no guessing to get them back.  You dont have to rely on a mark on the belt or other means to find your "zero"

Although I do like the race master, like everyone else I found that it does work itself "loose" at the most inconvenient times, even with locktite. I ended up carrying the three wrenches needed to adjust it in my stage bag "just in case". At A1 I had to use them as the holster became loose and would rock back and forth with a bit of pressure. I also found that with one of my Limited guns, a special edition CZ Tactical Sport,  I had to keep the muzzle extension attached for the gun to come out smoothly. If I remove it, that gun sometimes catches on the draw because it does not always engage the lock the same and has the ability to move vertically within the lock. Granted - this gun has a very unusual trigger guard, and this is a minor inconvenience- but just enough to be annoying. I have recently switched to a Guga Ribas holster, which is adjustable for just about any gun without the need or expense of additional blocks. I've had one for a few months for my revolver setup, and decided to buy another for my limited guns. I just shot my first match with it last week and it worked flawlessly. Wish I could say the same for the shooter! ;-{)}. JJ Racaza also just switched this holster and he was the top shooter at A1. 

I'll let you all know if I encounter any issues. 

1 hour ago, Edge40 said:

Yes you can take the entire assembly off but the alpha x lets you remove just the block and holster and leave the belt attachment you lose zero settings and there is no guessing to get them back.  You dont have to rely on a mark on the belt or other means to find your "zero"

This is the upgrade to the race master I have: http://www.doublealpha.biz/race-master-detachable-belt-hanger

I lose nothing when I take the holster off the belt, I don't have to mark anything and it was less than $30. 

I stand corrected.  Didn't know they made a mod like that.  After that the only advantage to the alpha x is the initial settings.  It is much easier to get set the way you want.

The alpha-x is easier to adjust and it has been rock solid so far for me.  I like the single ball design.  With that said its not as adjustable up and down, so the gun sits slightly higher it feels like to me than the racemaster.  I like that I can remove it without removing the hanger.  I have a gun with an sv grip and one with PT grip, so I like just swapping blocks rather than having to fiddle with adjustments, but I have not used the ribas system so I can not say if its more hassle or not.  I like the way there is nothing resting on my leg like with the racemaster.  

1 minute ago, teros135 said:

You can swap blocks with the Racemaster.  They useem the same block ;)

Yes.  I was just stating in general vs the ribas setup.  I just replaced the racemaster with the alpha x about a month ago.

4 minutes ago, CrashDodson said:

Yes.  I was just stating in general vs the ribas setup.  I just replaced the racemaster with the alpha x about a month ago.

Yes, gotcha.  The swapping is indeed a great idea.

Edited by teros135