Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interested in Reloading

wTEXgunner

So I want to start reloading, concern of mine is I live in an apartment. I read somewhere that it's a good idea to be in a well ventilated/open area when you send your brass through the tumbler, figured I could do that outside or at my girlfriends house. I was wondering if it's ok to do the reloading process in my bedroom? I have plenty room for a workbench, actually just built and set up a 5 1/2 foot workbench that's two feet deep for workspace.   Should I be reload somewhere else other than the room I sleep in?

26 minutes ago, wTEXgunner said:

So I want to start reloading, concern of mine is I live in an apartment. I read somewhere that it's a good idea to be in a well ventilated/open area when you send your brass through the tumbler, figured I could do that outside or at my girlfriends house. I was wondering if it's ok to do the reloading process in my bedroom? I have plenty room for a workbench, actually just built and set up a 5 1/2 foot workbench that's two feet deep for workspace.   Should I be reload somewhere else other than the room I sleep in?

Nah, go for it. I load in a converted space under my basement steps.

Accumulate brass and tumble it out side or at the GF's house in big batches

You'll make a little bit of a mess - invariably spilling a little powder and maybe losing the odd used primer or dropping a bullet or two to the floor. I found when I had my press set up inside that a shop vac kept in the closet was my best friend.

Minimum footprint for your press and the things you want nearby while reloading will be about 3 feet of lateral bench space for a scale, box of bullets, brass to feed it, somewhere to drop completed ammo. But that can all be stacked under or behind the presss when it isn't in use.

8 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You'll make a little bit of a mess - invariably spilling a little powder and maybe losing the odd used primer or dropping a bullet or two to the floor. I found when I had my press set up inside that a shop vac kept in the closet was my best friend.

Minimum footprint for your press and the things you want nearby while reloading will be about 3 feet of lateral bench space for a scale, box of bullets, brass to feed it, somewhere to drop completed ammo. But that can all be stacked under or behind the presss when it isn't in use.

Shop vac, check!! I'll make sure and pay attention to my housekeeping skills!

Just be sure to empty the vacuum often. Sucking live primers into a vacuum full of powder can be exciting. I've done it a hundred times, but I've "heard" of someone on Enos blowing the lid off of their shop vac, and no one ever exaggerates on the internet.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 3 weeks later...

In between house moves at an apartment we lived at, I set up my reloading room in a 6X6 walk in closet... truth be told, i actually enjoyed the hell out of it, it was small so it HAD to be organized and the room was so small EVERYTHING was in arms reach...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in a house, but a very small one. I don't have anywhere I can leave my press setup permanently, so I bolted the press to a 2×10, which then gets c-clamped to the kitchen table :)

I've loaded thousands of rounds like this, you gotta make due with what you have.

Go for it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I realized in my bed room before I moved in with my girlfriend. No problem. The only issue I had was with the noise from the tumbler. I replaced my harbor freight with one a better one and found a area of the apartment noise didn't travel as much. 

Add some strips of old dryer sheets (Bounce) in your dry tumbling media to trap dust. You can also add a couple ounces of low odor mineral spirits and two cap fills of liquid car wax to the dry media. It dampens it enough to stop airborne dust and wax shines brass more. 

On 11/25/2016 at 2:46 PM, kells81 said:

If you want to tumble at your apartment go the SS pin wet route.    Dry tumbling has too much bad juju dust to be done indoors.    

+1 for wet tumbling. Honestly even if dust weren't a concern I'd say go that route if you are starting from scratch. Maybe it's my OCD but seeing the brass come out perfectly clean inside and out and shinier than factory new really does it for me. For my precision rifle loads it also helps that the primer pocket comes out clean. To each their own, but it would eliminate the dust concern.

• 4 weeks later...