Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMR 800 X

bret

I can't answer that question.  I can tell you I bought a lb. of it a couple years ago for .357 SIG and I will never, ever buy another can of it.  I have an RCBS uniflow, a couple of Lyman 55's and a Lee powder measure and none of them will meter 800X worth beans.  I finally used it up when my wife bought me one of those Hornady electronic measure/scale outfits.  That was the only way I got consistent charges.

22 minutes ago, M1A4ME said:

I can't answer that question.  I can tell you I bought a lb. of it a couple years ago for .357 SIG and I will never, ever buy another can of it.  I have an RCBS uniflow, a couple of Lyman 55's and a Lee powder measure and none of them will meter 800X worth beans.  I finally used it up when my wife bought me one of those Hornady electronic measure/scale outfits.  That was the only way I got consistent charges.

It might be about the worst metering powder I have ever tried

As to the OP. Hodgdon's website lists a 38 super load for 115 grain XTPs. I'm sure you could do something with it, but it's probably not the ideal powder. 

13 minutes ago, bret said:

I have about 18 lbs of it, ran out of N105, and would like to use it in .38 Supercomp if I can, if not, no big deal.

The listed max load is only about 1100 fps with a 115. Even the loads listed under 9mm are rather tame. You could try it, but I would be mighty careful working up loads... but If it were me I would just skip it and buy some more N105 or 3n38

I bought several pounds when it was the only powder I could find during the lean years. As I have stated here before,  it meters like a cross between burnt oatmeal and curdled milk. Having said that, I use it now for 147 Blue and MG loads for 3 gun, and it is a really good powder for this weight. I have used it in 230 grain .45 loads, but it is dirty if a reduced load is used.

There have been references to the use of the Lee dippers to find a consistent weight when reloading with this powder. When I load with it, I use some rubber bands and hang a Wally World fish air pump on the powder drop, and let it settle the large flakes down. You will always have a few rounds that are a bit snappier due to a few extra flakes getting in, but oh well.........