Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Roller to pick up 9mm brass on gravel?

JusticeOfToren

Hello: No good way using a nut picker cage type brass collector. Best way is to use a pickup tool that you can pick up one piece at a time. They come in different lengths so get one that suits your height. A dust pan with a vertical extension to put the brass in is also handy. The rake type brass collectors will pickup the gravel as well. Thanks, Eric

So if I don't mind picking up some gravel along with brass, the Brass Wizard type roller would work on soft gravel ground?  I have degenerated disc on the back and won't be able to bend down anymore... Crawling may be a problem too.  Thanks everyone for the input. 

I've had the best luck with the "Brass Mower" brand and use mine a lot.  We have some gravel bays and for our bays it works fine on gravel.  Of course your gravel may differ from our gravel...so YMMV.  ;)

On October 19, 2016 at 7:54 AM, JusticeOfToren said:

So if I don't mind picking up some gravel along with brass, the Brass Wizard type roller would work on soft gravel ground?  I have degenerated disc on the back and won't be able to bend down anymore... Crawling may be a problem too.  Thanks everyone for the input. 

I use the garden weasel from ACE hardware.  When at a gravel range I don't roll it I "stab" at the cases so the gap in the wheel parallels the case. Seems to work just fine and I get almost no gravel in the cage. 

Just to report back:

I have tried the Nut Wizard and the grabber thingy, none works well at my range where the ground is soft gravel.   When I press down the Nut Wizard on the brass, most times the brass just sink into the gravel.  The grabber works but it took me 12 min to collect 200 brass.  Not efficient at all. 

Then I tried the Harbor Freight mesh tarp.  Wow - they worked wonderfully.  I got two of them, both 8x10 feet.  Works perfectly, because most drills I do are 1 or 2 shooting positions.  No more bending down.

Hope this helps others. 

for gravel and other unfriendly surfaces either the tarp or if that's not practical (multiple positions etc) then use something like this:

20-robot-arm.jpg

it's not exactly super fast but it beats bending over and scrounging around on the ground.

Edited by BeerBaron