Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to start reloading soon!

CraigEcash86

Get a 650 if you plan on reloading a lot and pistol and rifle cartridges.

For just pistol and loading 3-400 rounds at a time I'd say go with the Square Deal.  It only loads pistol and you have to use Dillon dies but it's a great machine.

I use a 650 with a MrBulletfeeder and can load 100 rounds every 5 minutes.  Then I need to add more primers.  I like the fact that this machine auto-indexes.  Something my old 550 did not do.

Nope, shotgun is a completely different reloading process.

A lot depends on your budget. If the difference between $400, $600, and $800 isn't that big of a deal, start with the 650. There is no downside other than cost. If you're really like to keep cost down then we can talk about what you compromise on as you step down to the Square Deal B and the 550.

As has been mentioned, the Square Deal B is a great, compact progressive that is ideal for those likely to load a single pistol caliber for a while. You can swap them between pistol calibers, it just isn't a 2 minute job. The downsides are no rifle calibers and no 5th station for a powder checker.

With the 550 you also lose the 5th station of the 650 for powder checker. And you can't expand it as far as the 650. The cost is so close between the two that I would only consider the 550 if you're really sure you're not going to go the route of hanging $1000 or more in bullet feeders and case feeders on your press. Sure, the 650 also auto-indexes, but manually indexing the 550 is so natural that it's not that big of a deal. So if you're sure you're not going to want to expand your into full feeder automation then the real decision point between the two for me is to have a powder checker or not. But if you think you might want all the bells and whistles someday then go 650.

If you can afford the difference, I suggest the 650.   When I went from the 550 to the 650, my production rate doubled.   I didn't add all the bells & whistles, only the brass feeder to it.   I like the 650 better than the 550 in every way except maybe the primer feed.   I doubt after 10 years or so of owning the 650 that I will ever add a bullet feeder or automate it.   I like the control & the feel of the 650 just like it comes.

I started with a 650 and never had a moments issue, there are those that believe a new reloader should start with a 550. In the long run you will be happier and better served with the 650 decision

Edited by Aggieddad02

I started with the 550 and it was fine for a while.  I owned it for 6 months before deciding I needed something different.  The tipping point was needing to load 2k rounds for a class I was taking.  Loading 2k rounds on a 550 is a lesson in patience and was a complete ass whipping.  After reading ALOT and talking to others I chose to go with the 1050.  Walking in my garage in cranking out 200 rounds in 10 mins is awesome.  If you are only planning to load a few calibers and load a lot at one time, the 1050 is great.  If you only like to load a little at a time and plan to change calibers often then the 650 is probably the better choice.  I load .40 only so the 1050 is excellent. 

I posted this on another thread, copypasta follows:

-------------

For single stage, there's only two that consistently get rave reviews. Rockchucker and Forster Co-Ax. If you need the very best match grade rounds that can be made by mankind, Forster. If good enough is good enough, Rockchucker.

Progressive presses kinda go like this...

I have a very limited budget, I don't need to make more than a few thousand rounds a month, I'm rather mechanically inclined and don't mind tinkering: Lee Loadmaster.

I'm a rebel and want to use a machine that's different from everyone else's: RCBS Pro2000 or ProChucker

I need match grade ammo but can't afford a Dillon 1050: Hornady LnL (sorry 650 lovers, the LnL is more consistent)

I drank the blue Kool-Aid but can't afford a Dillon 650: Dillon 550

I need a ton of ammo and/or can't be bothered to own equipment that doesn't flat work: Dillon 650

I need a metric assload of ammo and/or need more than 5 stations and/or prefer to cry once buy once: Dillon 1050

I'm fabulously wealthy: Camdex

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/16/2017 at 10:48 PM, tdp88 said:

How many rounds per hour can I realistically get on a SDB?

I use to own a sdb. If you have several primer tubes filled up, nothing goes wrong, and are absolutely flying, approx 400 rounds/hr. I only had one primer tube, took my time, checked charge every time before cranking handle, I would easily get 300 rounds/hr.

On 10/18/2016 at 7:52 PM, CraigEcash86 said:

I am starting to lean towards the 1050 

Craig, I learned on a 550, bought a 650, bought an auto-drive 1050, swapped the bullet feeder from the 1050 to my 650 and sold the 1050.

If you plan to do multiple calibers, the swaps on the 650 are quicker.  The only thing the 1050 does better is swage crimped primer pockets.

Edited by kneelingatlas

You really can't go wrong with either the 650 or 1050. 

I personally have the 1050, and don't regret buying it at all.  I know this next statement may sound silly but... swaging and priming on the down stroke of the handle is so nice and effortless. I can remember how sore the palm of my hand used to be after loading with the LNL AP or 650. Not any more!  ?