Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

g34 gen4 accuracy issues

barebones1

I am primarily shooting uspsa ( tanfoglio limited) I have no issues. This gun will easily shoot 2 inch groups at 10 yards. average match, 100 a  / 8 cs  1 or 2 mikes.  Now the Glock I use for IDPA g34 gen4 zev trigger , gen3 spring set @11 lbs  Dawson magwell. sights were so bad added adjustable rear and hiviz front. rear is adjusted all the way right just to get into the a zone. gun groups 6 in offhand @ ten yards. ???? been using Winchester white box 115 grain. load is my next focus. 20 yard head shots are a crap shoot at best. I am hoping 147 or 124 will pull the groups in.  What are your experiences with heavier  bullets in  glock.  If not for the fact, I am hard headed. The glock would be long gone and I would be shooting IDPA with a 9mm CZ platform.  any advise is appreciated, thanks in advance.

cheers 

Some of the local LEO reported issues with the Gen 4s being super left, and not just a new to Glock guy grip issue,  these are all experienced USPSA Glock shooters. The Glock rep replaced them. 124s shoot nearly the same as 115s, the 147s will shoot 1-2" higher at 20 yards, but neither will pull more to the right. I assume you hold your gun like this? I would have a couple other Glock hosers run your gun, and see if they get the same results. 

image37140.jpg

First place I would check prior to purchasing a new barrel is the locking block. Google it and do some reading on 34's that shoot one side or the other and have accuracy issues.

If you have another Glock that you can try your 34 top end on or substitute another locking block your problems may be solved quite easily.

I had an armorer at a GSSF match recently look at my 34 that was shooting as well as my other Glocks. He immediately replaced the locking block and said if that did not fix it , Glock would replace my barrel.  

I went with a KKM barrel in my G34. I don't know if it is the barrel or not, and I don't have any empirical data, but I can make 15 yard headshots no problem. Well, I have to be paying attention and then it is no problem. That said, I have a G17 with a stock barrel that is very accurate.

I generally go with the theory it is the Indian and not the arrow. At least in my case.I had a chance to watch Bob Vogel shoot his old beat up Glock 34 and he seemed to be doing pretty well with it.

I have yet to read any study that showed any material difference in accuracy across aftermarket barrels, gen3 barrels, and gen4 barrels. Stock Gen4 Glock barrels have been used to win / place high even during this year's major championships. So, Im inclined to suspect it's not the Glock. I'd probably look into the shooter first, and then the ammo.

What a difference a barrel and a week makes......so....put the kkm barrel in. shot idpa match Saturday.  50 shooters  / 8th overall, first in my division. 6 points down for the match. solid "0"S.  all head shot made. Compared to: 32nd last week out of 46 shooters with the stock barrel. The sight is still all the way to the right, but now shoots steady 2 inch groups @10yards. I figure the old barrel had 9000 rounds. at least now I can feel comfortable selling it to someone. Wont sell a bum gun. Going to CZ for IDPA to have the same feel as my tanfoglio uspsa rig.

I went to a storm lake barrel and got rid of the factory guide rod.great 25 yards groups well great for me I can now keep all rounds in the head of a IPSC target. with my gen4 34 dawson sights

Edited by usmc1974

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2017 at 0:16 PM, rooster said:

From what I understand, reviews that compare different guns, ammo, and parts OBJECTIVELY and EXTENSIVELY are non-existent like unicorns. Most reviews tend to take a gun/ammo in isolation, so, you can't tell how it stacks up with the competition. (I understand that writers are specifically asked by the editors of the publications to do it this way, to avoid making anyone "look bad" compared to other products on the market.)

So, this article stands out as probably being the best review I've read because it does exactly that: it uses the same methodology to compare different barrels, and it shares the results.

Thanks for sharing, Rooster.

I have shot many different glocks with factory and aftermarket barrels from several manufacturers. The factory barrels are every bit as accurate as any of the aftermarket ones. I would start by swapping the locking block. 

I would not be surprised with vertical stringing since vertical lockup on glocks is not that tight but I have had good luck with horizontal (then again maybe I cause the vertical stringing) 

if you are shooting groups bagged try not to rest the dustcover on something,  I think it is actually worse for accuracy than resting just the butt of the grip