Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrading a Carbine Gas System

Kmarsh1966

I have an Anderson Rifle M4 that I am using for 3 gun.   Only upgrades from the base model is Hiperfire 24C trigger, BAD Charghing handle latch, Michulek Muzzle Break, and Midwest Industries Handguard.   This gun will shoot SUB MOA groups at 100 & 200 yards.   I think I would like to upgrade to a low mass BCG, and assume I need an adjustable gas block.   My rig appears to be a carbine length gas system.

A couple of options.    

1 Upgrade Gas System in current upper.

2 build a mid/rifle length upper for 3 gun

From what I have seen it appears the Rifle Length will provide the softest shooting.   My goal is to minimize recoil for double taps on close and dirty stages.

I shoot 77 gr for long range, and 55 gr for 100 yard and closer

Thanks for your comments/suggestions

A low mass BCG with an adjustable gas block on a rifle length upper will recoil very little. I have heard that a rifle length buffer over a carbine length with a low mass buffer will help even more, but I have yet to compare a rifle to a carbine. The VLTOR A5 system allows you to use a rifle length spring with a special buffer and use an adjustable stock. I have yet to find a low mass buffer for it yet though.

It's no secret a longer gas system shoots softer/cleaner. I would start with an adjustable gas block first, that'll help tame some of the over gasing from the carbine length system. You can always use that same gas block if you decide to re barrel with a rifle length system and low mass bcg. 

Definitely the gas block will get you the most results for your money.

If your Anderson gas block is pinned, you may want to just get an adjustable gas key for your bolt carrier. Adjusting the gas really helps to level the playing field between carbine and mid/rifle gas.

Low mass bcg is a huge upgrade too, but costs substantially more.

On 10/17/2016 at 2:40 PM, EliteGuard said:

A low mass BCG with an adjustable gas block on a rifle length upper will recoil very little. I have heard that a rifle length buffer over a carbine length with a low mass buffer will help even more, but I have yet to compare a rifle to a carbine. The VLTOR A5 system allows you to use a rifle length spring with a special buffer and use an adjustable stock. I have yet to find a low mass buffer for it yet though.

The lightest buffer for the A5 system is Vltor's A5H0 buffer (3.8oz). JP's LMOS rifle length buffer weighs 3.0oz.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

I got an Odin Adjustable Gas block.   Took it out to the range and adjusted it.   Made a major difference in how soft the rifle shoots.   I can understand the concept of different length systems, but I would also assume limiting the gas IE: lowering the gas pressure should effectively do the same thing.   I am really happy with my setup.   

15 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Nope.

Well then I got to see how much difference that can make, becaus the Adjustable black made alot.   Hate to give up a barrell that shoots sub MOA, just scared what I could end up with accuracy wise.   

49 minutes ago, Kmarsh1966 said:

Well then I got to see how much difference that can make, becaus the Adjustable black made alot.   Hate to give up a barrell that shoots sub MOA, just scared what I could end up with accuracy wise.   

I'm not saying you have to buy/sell anything. Dr Mitch beat me to it, you decrease volume with a smaller gas port, not pressure. Your still better off with an AGB but your a long ways away from a rifle length gas system. As to your last point, there's lots of manufacturers that have earned reputations for sub MOA barrels...

Edited by TonytheTiger