Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What powder do you use?

glocklife34

WST works well for 147 grain bullets but got squirrelly with 124's.

WSF is a solid powder but a little rough feeling for me - makes power easy & safe

W231/HP38 feels very nice, makes power easily and safely. I've just read too much about temperature sensitivity for my liking. Haven't tested myself, but moved on.

Titegroup is solid. Makes power easily, feels good and just works.

Alliant E3 - recently got some but have not worked up any loads, Purported to feel like Clays, WST, Titegroup but without the pressure issues. Going to work these up in the offseason.

3 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

WST works well for 147 grain bullets but got squirrelly with 124's.

WSF is a solid powder but a little rough feeling for me - makes power easy & safe

W231/HP38 feels very nice, makes power easily and safely. I've just read too much about temperature sensitivity for my liking. Haven't tested myself, but moved on.

Titegroup is solid. Makes power easily, feels good and just works.

Alliant E3 - recently got some but have not worked up any loads, Purported to feel like Clays, WST, Titegroup but without the pressure issues. Going to work these up in the offseason.

Curious what was squirrelly? I use it with 147 out of my revo with good success. Shot some 125 g bullets at minor out of an open gun for a bit too. Didnt do any real testing with the 125's just loaded them and shot it at knockdown steel matches. was  Accuracy or consistency squirrelly or just feel for you? I forgot to add and almost forgot entirely myself that I shoot 125 out of my 9mm 1911 with WST too.

Edited by Shmella

Shmella - Accuracy and consistency were fantastic in a Glock 34 w/ 147gr Bayous (1.135, 3.7gr WST = 129pf @90*). In a Tanfo Stock 2 it was the classically "Danger Will Robinson" powder increase to fps increase ratio got me worried.

Tanfo Stock 2 - 1.08", 125gr BBI, 94* Texas heat

WST

3.4 grains - 911 FPS average

3.6 grains - 952 FPS average

3.8 grains - 960 FPS average

Only increasing an average of 8 feet per second with SD's at 32 (@3.4) and 27 (@3.6) is a bit wild, SD did drop to 11 at 3.8 grains of powder.  Either way, it got funky and wasn't worth pushing further. Could have been the short OAL, Texas heat (WST is said to be inverse temperature sensitive), or my particular gun.  Regardless, I had 3 other powders that played nicely.

Edited by SCTaylor

Recently jumped on the e3 bandwagon. 3.1gr behind a Bayou 147 at 1.145 nets me 133 PF. Tried WST with the same higher SD, and flattening primers others report. Previously was using 3.4 Titegroup behind a Bayou 135 at 1.110 for 131 PF. I like the e3 better. Shoots softer, less smoke and residual powder and is more accurate it seems.