Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Eagle recoil spring?

CraigEcash86

55 minutes ago, Garmil said:

We need a lot more info to answer your question.(caliber, slide length, what ammo you are shooting, what you're doing with the gun) And even then there is no correct answer.

This. 

I run a 9lb in my Eagle 6.0 w/180gr 172PF ammo. 

To Garmil's point, after slide lightening I may change. In a 5" .40 w/same ammo I normally run a 12lb. In a 5" 9mm w/147gr 130PF ammo I'd stick with a 10lb. If it were 115gr ammo w/same PF I'd run a 9lb.

The above all assumes the slide to frame has been lapped, mainspring lightened, and the gun has had at least 1K rds through it. Otherwise I'd adjust accordingly. 

20 hours ago, Garmil said:

We need a lot more info to answer your question.(caliber, slide length, what ammo you are shooting, what you're doing with the gun) And even then there is no correct answer.

Wow I was very vague on my question there. Sorry about that it's a 40 with a 5 inch slide. Loads are 180 grain right at minimum major power factor.

19 hours ago, resortboarder said:

This. 

I run a 9lb in my Eagle 6.0 w/180gr 172PF ammo. 

To Garmil's point, after slide lightening I may change. In a 5" .40 w/same ammo I normally run a 12lb. In a 5" 9mm w/147gr 130PF ammo I'd stick with a 10lb. If it were 115gr ammo w/same PF I'd run a 9lb.

The above all assumes the slide to frame has been lapped, mainspring lightened, and the gun has had at least 1K rds through it. Otherwise I'd adjust accordingly. 

I'll start with a 12 and a 10. Thank for the info! 

Hello: I would use 12.5lb ISMI for minor and a 14lb ISMI for major. That should get you close and see which weight feels better to you. I use a timer and some drills to find the best spring weight. What feels good does not always work good but the timer does not lie. Thanks, Eric

• 2 months later...