Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maximizing V comp efficiency

Due to a dismal revolver turn out at local USPSA matches I am considering using my 627 V comp in open. I am looking for suggestions regarding major power factor load data that will make the stock comp work as well as possible. I am also interested in either modifying the comp or building a new one. Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

I tried to push my 38's to major PF and didn't like the results. I've searched for compensators and have not been able find any either. I know just shoot Revo minor in USPSA.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, 357454 said:

Due to a dismal revolver turn out at local USPSA matches I am considering using my 627 V comp in open. I am looking for suggestions regarding major power factor load data that will make the stock comp work as well as possible. I am also interested in either modifying the comp or building a new one. Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Not trying to be a Debbie downer here, but why bother trying to find a major load? You aren't gonna be competitive in open regardless with a 627, so you might as well just not mess with sticky extraction and blowing up cylinders. I would just find a nice shooting minor load, try something on the slightly slower end of the spectrum (WAC/CFE, Power Pistol, Longshot) and see what results you can get. The small comp also probably can't realize the benefits of the slower major powders (HS6, 3n38, AA7/9...)

The stock comp on a V comp is pretty pathetic. I wouldn't expect it to be any softer or flatter than just shooting a nice minor load out of it without. 

Be careful using slower powders over a long term with minor loads. There's a steel club near me that has a half dozen revolver shooters all using light loads of power pistol in special cases. All of their firing pin bushings are eroded from flame cutting around the primers, cases are black on the outside, and occasionally a primer pops out. 

I had some success with my vcomp and its comp with a 158 over unique in special cases doing 1200fps, might be something to check out. 

Edited by MWP

6 hours ago, 357454 said:

cimg1664.jpg

Julie Golob's 627.

4 hours ago, MWP said:

Be careful using slower powders over a long term with minor loads. There's a steel club near me that has a half dozen revolver shooters all using light loads of power pistol in special cases. All of their firing pin bushings are eroded from flame cutting around the primers, cases are black on the outside, and occasionally a primer pops out. 

I had some success with my vcomp and its comp with a 158 over unique in special cases doing 1200fps, might be something to check out. 

Cases with loose primer pockets?

I would have thought that too, until I found out so many guys there were all having that problem. Mixed brass, and none of it was ridiculously old. The common denominator among them was the load. 

I have had primers pierced with 160 grain bullets with 4.2 grains of power pistol in specials. Though I use 3.9 grains of power pistol with 160's (1.19 OAL) and have no issues and I'm over 5K rounds with this load.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, toothguy said:

cimg1664.jpg

Julie Golob's 627.

The comp appears to have been modified to S&Ws Power Port Design, while I have fired a few 44s with this design I did not notice much difference in muzzle flip, however I was using heavy bullets with 2400 powder.

11 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I'm shooting a 125 gr. JHP over 6.2 gr. of Power Pistol, .38 Spl. case. No problems after around 10K rounds. Very accurate, about 135 PF.

Are you firing these loads thru a comp? If so is there a noticeable reduction in muzzle rise?

21 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

Not trying to be a Debbie downer here, but why bother trying to find a major load? You aren't gonna be competitive in open regardless with a 627, so you might as well just not mess with sticky extraction and blowing up cylinders. I would just find a nice shooting minor load, try something on the slightly slower end of the spectrum (WAC/CFE, Power Pistol, Longshot) and see what results you can get. The small comp also probably can't realize the benefits of the slower major powders (HS6, 3n38, AA7/9...)

The stock comp on a V comp is pretty pathetic. I wouldn't expect it to be any softer or flatter than just shooting a nice minor load out of it without. 

My hopes are to find a load/comp design that will allow me to pick up a few extra points then I happen to shoot a C or D. As I normally shoot 160 grn bullets my hopes are that with a lighter bullet and more powder I can get some muzzle rise reduction similar to what you see with an open gun.

33 minutes ago, IowaNewbie said:

I don't know enough about adjusting loads to maximize port performance but here's a video where Jerry talks about magnaporting his guns. Maybe you've already seen this.

Thanks very much for the link, looks like my 627 may be taking a trip to magnaport.

On 10/17/2016 at 10:33 AM, 357454 said:

Are you firing these loads thru a comp? If so is there a noticeable reduction in muzzle rise?

I am using a 7 port comp made for semi autos. There is almost no movement of the gun during shooting. In a non comp gun, there is a good bit of muzzle flip with this load. Power Pistol generates a lot of gas like Auto Comp, but burns a lot cooler. Cooler is much better for reloads when the cylinder doesn't burn your hand.

Edit from 3 port to 7 port. There are 3 on top and 2 on each side at the front.

Edited by Toolguy

7 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I am using a 3 port comp made for semi autos. There is almost no movement of the gun during shooting. In a non comp gun, there is a good bit of muzzle flip with this load. Power Pistol generates a lot of gas like Auto Comp, but burns a lot cooler. Cooler is much better for reloads when the cylinder doesn't burn your hand.

Any chance I can get a picture of your comp, how does it mount to the barrel?

20 hours ago, 357454 said:

Any chance I can get a picture of your comp, how does it mount to the barrel?

This is a Titaniium EGW 7 port Hybrid, model #11901. I got it from Brownell's. It has .575 x 40 threads, threaded onto a slab sided PPC type barrel. I got the tap and die from Brownell's too. I single pointed the thread on the lathe to just a bit oversize, then ran the die on for finish size. I will post a pic or 2 when I get time.

1 hour ago, Toolguy said:

This is a Titaniium EGW 7 port Hybrid, model #11901. I got it from Brownell's. It has .575 x 40 threads, threaded onto a slab sided PPC type barrel. I got the tap and die from Brownell's too. I single pointed the thread on the lathe to just a bit oversize, then ran the die on for finish size. I will post a pic or 2 when I get time.

I'm extremely interested in seeing pictures as well.

15 hours ago, Toolguy said:

Hmmmm. I was hoping to keep the stock barrel on my 627. It's dead on - for my meager abilities....

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2016 at 11:32 AM, alecmc said:

Just shoot As at 130 power factor. 

yeah, you are going to be slaughtered on time, shooting a revolver against 30 rd sticks is always a time looser.

why bother with all the hassle of shooting major.

On 10/18/2016 at 3:46 PM, Toolguy said:

Here are pics. The barrel is 6". With the comp added, it comes to 7.5" long.

2016-11-02-18.20.32.jpg

2016-11-02-18.21.22.jpg

Edited by Toolguy