Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's your thoughts on this 3in1 Lathe/Mill

jameslee1223

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-X-36-Combination-Gunsmithing-Lathe-Mill/G0791?utm_campaign=zPage

I was looking to buy the Grizzly G4003G gunsmithing lathe for my small shop. Space is limited so when I saw they had this, well it's tempting. It's the same as the lathe I was going to buy but it has a small milling attachment. Most of my milling will be 80% AR receivers and pistol slides. Does anyone have any experience with this machine or Grizzle lathes/mills in general?

Hello: Buy a lathe and also buy a separate milling machine. You will be fighting which machine is setup for what operation so it is better to have individual machines. I have a small Grizzly lathe and it works very well for what I do with it. I had a big Monarch I sold years ago. I also have an old Bridgeport M head milling machine as well. Norton surface grinder and some other machines. Look around your local machine shops as some maybe selling off old machines they don't use any longer. Always buy a heavier machine than you think you will need. Thanks, Eric

I have the G0791 and I like it.  That said, there are definite limitations.  Having to pull the compound slide off to put a mill vise on means that you'll spend a lot of time setting up for any precision work on either machine.  Also, the cross slide will actually run into the mill head column, which limits your y-axis when milling to <5" in certain configurations.  Also, there are interlocks that prevent you from running both heads at once, and all the power feeds are run off the lathe head, so you have no power feed when milling.  The best way to think about the machine is a good lathe with an okay milling attachment.  I'm very happy with mine but if I were to do it all over I'd spend the extra money and floor space for separate machines.  If you're strapped for both; it's a decent compromise.

Edited by JonSnow

Don't beat up the bearing, if the cutter chatters ease off.  Typical bearings are automotive style, not a bad thing but expect a shorter replacement interval depending on use.  Keep spindle and ways lubed, chinese cast iron is not mehanite.  Be careful of loose lead screw nuts, causes the cutter to take a big bite and a potential sub orbital part.

Bought a ShopTask 1720 in 92, still making parts.  Built quite a few race guns for friends and self, including race holsters.

• 2 weeks later...

Get what you can afford and fits in your work area.  My original workshop was the size of a king sized bed.  Didn't stop me from making chips nor friends coming over to get ready for Saturday's match (NRG, SWPL, WEGC or LDF).  Besides, the BS stories are priceless.

Now have separate lathe and mill, also means parts of a project can occupy all three machines.

Fair warning, tooling is usually a multiple of machinery cost.

All great advice.  

I will echo getting the separate lathe and mill.  I'm far from a machinery expert, but looked and researched the topic deeply before purchasing.  The grizzly lathe is a good bang for the buck and completely adequate for an entry level machine.  You can pick up a small mill drill that won't take up much space and get you started doing small jobs.  I ended up getting a new clausing 13x40 with an acu-rite dro installed and a grizzly G0704 until I can afford a good knee mill.  My biggest regret is not getting the mill/drill with a DRO.  Budget in a good chunk for tooling, it adds up quick.