Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2/3 Extreme FP Block Question

I am just curious about the configurations where you must have the extreme firing pin block.  I am rather happy with my current configuration (2 piece sear/ factory hammer/ G5 firing pin/ polish job)  but I would like to know what parts will typically make it necessary to change the FP Block.

I have changed out all the springs to the current recommended ones. 

I do have a 1 piece sear, and extreme interrupter that I am thinking about installing.  This where I am wondering if the Extreme FPB will be needed.

I will eventually get a E.G. Firing pin, but based on my reading I will be putting my factory pin back in if I decide to change sear and disco until I get the EG firing pin.

Thanks,

Bill

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, ryridesmotox said:

The one piece sear  does not interact with the block the same as the 2 piece. That's what will require the change. That's how it was in my gun. 

This is the change I am most concerned with needing the extended FPB.  Based on a previous topic about the 2 piece sear I figured there is a good chance I will need the Extended FPB.  The function of the two piece is vastly different due to the added lever action of the arm that engages the FPB.  

I will run a test fit in the near future and report back.  

I now have plenty of practice installing the two piece sear.

Bill

Typically, the 1 piece sear needs the extended block. Some "get lucky", most don't.

The xtreme interruptor is typically shipped with the gun.  don't buy one.  the factory firing pin is slso as good as the xtreme.

6 hours ago, billthemarine2862 said:

Thanks johnbu,  it really seems like my current configuration is about as good as possible.  Other than if I decide to go with the Titan Hammer and BOLO, and that really seems to be a preference for how you like your reset as much as anything. 

How do you feel like the pull weights are with factory internals, polishing, and the lighter springs? I'm considering going that route and upgrading to Titan/1 PC sear/ BOLO down the road if I want to.

I am very happy with the setup the way it is.  I did 2 rounds of polishing, my first round just wasn't enough. I am at 6.5DA, 1.9 SA.  So long as I don't let my finger off the trigger the reset is just over 2mm.  During transitions I still have a tendency to let my finger back out the trigger.  Either way it is a crisp S.A pull and far better than it was stock.  

I think that the PD optimized sear spring and Trigger return spring made a big impact on the gun for a very small price.

I am not going to be winning nationals any time soon...for a second gun it is great as is for shooting production.  It was by far one of the nicest production guns at a match I shot recently, if that means anything to you.

I think the Titan Hammer would allow me to get the DA pull down below 6#'s.  If I go any lighter in DA I get light strikes.  The BOLO would get the reset dIstance down more.  The S.A. still has room to imorove.  It is crisp, well defined, and 1.8#'s.  My TS is still a better SA pull. I think the BOLO would make a big difference if you want a reset below 2MM.  

When I shot a match the reset didn't bother me as is.  I am happy for now, the BOLO and Titan hammer will come eventually, but with 3 kids I won't be buying gun parts until after the holidays are done. 

I know that it can be better but, for what I do, and my skill level I think what I have now is great.  

I've done numerous polishings.  the inside of the plunger head is one important part for smoothing and lightening. When compressing it assembled, there should be no "zipper" feeling.  then polish the holes in the hammer, sear, and those pins.  That hammer strut should also be high polish.

With pd13 hammer spring, the gun is just under 5 DA.  with full aftermarket parts. It can be done and have reliable ignition. I'm running wolf primers.

9 hours ago, billthemarine2862 said:

I am very happy with the setup the way it is.  I did 2 rounds of polishing, my first round just wasn't enough. I am at 6.5DA, 1.9 SA.  So long as I don't let my finger off the trigger the reset is just over 2mm.  During transitions I still have a tendency to let my finger back out the trigger.  Either way it is a crisp S.A pull and far better than it was stock.  

I think that the PD optimized sear spring and Trigger return spring made a big impact on the gun for a very small price.

I am not going to be winning nationals any time soon...for a second gun it is great as is for shooting production.  It was by far one of the nicest production guns at a match I shot recently, if that means anything to you.

Edited by johnbu

How do you feel like the pull weights are with factory internals, polishing, and the lighter springs? I'm considering going that route and upgrading to Titan/1 PC sear/ BOLO down the road if I want to.

My pull gauge will be here this week, I'll get some numbers with light polishing, E.G. light fp spring and 13lb PD hammer spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When compressing it assembled, there should be no "zipper" feeling.

I can't for the life of me get rid of that zipper sensation. This is because the strut has serrations on it that I can't get rid of!! Drives me insane. Doesn't matter how much material comes off those ridges don't go away.

I was at the range today and a friend of mine had a brand new CZ Custom Shadow Tac 2.  It blew my mind.  The only way to truly get a trigger like that is with BOLO.  The way his trigger would stage for that SA shot was amazing.  No play at all.

When you consider the low cost spent on polish and springs the trigger is great as is.  I just can't kid myself about what is possible if I am able to get the BOLO, hammer, sear, and less curved trigger.

At least I now know what I am chasing.

Also I saw big returns from my very detailed second polishing of all things plunger.  I was able to get rid of the zipper feeling.

The BOLO changes the total feel of the gun.  but I think you could fit it. Hardest part is getting the safety to engage with the 1 piece sear and the titan. After that, the BOLO is basically a drop in.

9 minutes ago, johnbu said:

The BOLO changes the total feel of the gun.  but I think you could fit it. Hardest part is getting the safety to engage with the 1 piece sear and the titan. After that, the BOLO is basically a drop in.

I agree that it will totally change the feel of the gun.  The OCD perfectionist in me was going to get my stock 3 to run like that no matter what.  I am painfully aware of how important the BOLO and Hammer are now to getting to the desired end result.  

I agree that I can fit the parts myself (well with some minor coaching from you guys on this forum).

I think it was a bit of an overstatement to say I would ship it off, it was really a comment about the quality of work that was done to that CZ Custom pistol.  Although I think the guys at PD would be able to get every drop of performance out of the BOLO and hammer since they fit so many of them.  

3 hours ago, billthemarine2862 said:

I agree that it will totally change the feel of the gun.  The OCD perfectionist in me was going to get my stock 3 to run like that no matter what.  I am painfully aware of how important the BOLO and Hammer are now to getting to the desired end result.  

Just don't kid yourself about how much the World's Best Trigger matters in the overalls when the match is over. There's not much difference going to be found between it and a "pretty damn good"  trigger when the timer is ticking.

Chasing it for fun is fine. As long as it's for fun, and not something you feel is mandatory to be able to compete well!

Back in my Glock days, I got trigger-focused and tried a dozen variations on Vanek kits and ZEV components and found all kinds of way to make a Glock stop working. Then went back to the - connector and an aftermarket trigger spring and left it alone and practiced until I won those highly coveted 1st Place IDPA Master plaques at a few state matches. 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Just don't kid yourself about how much the World's Best Trigger matters in the overalls when the match is over. There's not much difference going to be found between it and a "pretty damn good"  trigger when the timer is ticking.

Chasing it for fun is fine. As long as it's for fun, and not something you feel is mandatory to be able to compete well!

Back in my Glock days, I got trigger-focused and tried a dozen variations on Vanek kits and ZEV components and found all kinds of way to make a Glock stop working. Then went back to the - connector and an aftermarket trigger spring and left it alone and practiced until I won those highly coveted 1st Place IDPA Master plaques at a few state matches. 

This. USPSA Production national champ was on a Limited Pro, with no bolo, no fancy hammer, and a 13 pound hammer spring, and no patriot defense springs.

1 hour ago, ElMateo487 said:

This. USPSA Production national champ was on a Limited Pro, with no bolo, no fancy hammer, and a 13 pound hammer spring, and no patriot defense springs.

Lies. The video of Alex Gutt.

This was clearly heavily edited. It's impossible to win without a Stock 2. Everyone knows that.

Edited by MemphisMechanic