Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle Brakes

Core3gunner

I have a sure fire on my AR. It's the old style and I got it originally so I could also use it as a suppressor mount. But, they changed styles and I ended up going a different suppressor route.

They test well, and mine works. They are one of the more reasonably priced options, and perform ok.

Pat Kelly has a good muzzle break article, and here's another
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/jeremy-s/556-muzzle-device-shootout/amp/?client=safari

Surefire break is very expensive and unless you plan on using their suppressor with it, its money out the window. Most breaks out there are extremely effective, especially if used in conjunction with a low mass bolt carrier and an adjustable gas block. Used as a system they make a very soft shooting AR. used individually the returns are there but minimal. The Mikulec is still the best break for the money.

Surefire now sells a non mount brake that is much cheaper that the one designed for silencers.  There are a lot of threads on here for brakes, pick on and use it.  I will say I have had to pull my surefire brake off and clean it before.

I have tried quite a few brakes....Smith Enterprise, Vais, JP, Seekins, Custom Muzzle Brakes, etc. 

The "best" for my use has been JP and Seekins. 

There are a TON of brakes out there, and some will work better then others...so asking what is best is a very tuff question. And then add into the mix low mass or full mass BCG, adjustable gas block, light weight buffers or SCS, and it will generate all sorts of replies.

good luck to you.