Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips on how to punch in the extractor pin with extra power extractor spring?

JusticeOfToren

For now I have to do this with the help from my wife.  With the regular extractor spring, I could do it myself.   However, with the extra power spring I am not able to hold the extractor secured in place to align all the holes with only a single hand, while the other hand holding hammer to punch the pin in. 

Does anyone have any ideas/special tools to do this by a single person?   Thanks.

You mean I'm going to have to get married to my girlfriend in order to build my Tanfo? Man, I thought this was an expensive gun before I knew I needed a wife to put it together!

Although I've learned directly that divorces are much more expensive than marriages...

Hahahahahahahaha.......Im going back to Glocks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

It's simple and takes me like 10 seconds. Really.  here's what I do and what I use.

A roll of 2" wide masking tape or similar is needed along with the punch that drove the pin out and the tap hammer.  Put in the spring, start the extractor and rotate it into place, push the PUNCH in from THE BOTTOM to hold the extractor in the correct place. The spring pressure will hold the punch. Now place the slide on top of the roll of tape with the punch sticking out the bottom. Obviously, the tape needs to be on the edge of the bench so the punch can hang down! Then using 2 hands, leisurely tap the pin in.  It helps to have the tip of the punch below the surface level.  The pin pushes the punch out as the pin gets close to flush, use it to set the pin the rest of the way. Boom, done !

I use the punch to hold the extractor roughly in place, then give the pin a few taps.
Wiggle the punch around to shift the position of the extractor until I feel the "click" of it lining up with the pin.
I'll put my thumb on the extractor (in case it moves, it doesn't go flying) and give the pin a couple more hits to get the pin going.
Double check to make sure the holes are still lined up (move with punch if needed), then finish the job.
Your spring might be a bit too much. Seems most take off a coil or 2 (which actually increases spring rate, but lowers preload)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks everyone.  I tried to use the punch and a slave pin to align the holes, and both ways worked.  The easier approach between the two for me was to use some kind of CZ variant trigger pin I have as slave pin, as my punch somehow is too slim for the hole and would not align the holes easily.  

I agree that the extra power spring might be too stiff.  I have it working on my other Tanfos with no issues.  Next time will try taking a coil or two see.  Thanks again. 

• 2 months later...
It helps avoid fail to extract issues. Factory spring is good for 10k rounds  extra power one.... a LOT more.

You should do a video on how to install that strong #@%$ in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm glad I won't have to do that again for a while, but what I did was use my favorite gunsmithing tool: a foot long 2x4 with a 1/2" hole in it. I started a thin punch from the top of the slide through everything, cussing at that damn extractor and spring as I shoved it all in line.

Then I pushed it out with a thicker drill bit that just barely fit through the slide & extractor from the bottom so that everything was perfectly lined up.

I set the slide down on the 2x4 with the drill bit sticking out of the hole in it (clamped the wood block to my bench so the hole could hang over the side) and drove the roll pin in through the top. 

Still wasn't fun, but that worked pretty well.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

14 minutes ago, ryridesmotox said:

That's an interesting way to do it.

An easy way to work on roll pin fitted components. I do that a lot at work on things that weigh a few dozen tons.

A very small punch to align the parts, around half of the hole size.

Feed a larger one (just small enough to fit easily by hand) through to get them pretty much perfectly aligned, using the first punch to pry them into place as you feed the large punch in from the other side.

Drive that larger punch out with your roll pin and a hammer.

I also grind a small bevel on the end of the roll pin through the extractor and the right-side ambi safety that goes in first to make them even easier to install.

Edited by MemphisMechanic