Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of casting my own bullets..?

IGOTGLOCKED

23 hours ago, dannyd said:

I have been casting for 28 years.  If you start,  start with cheap equipment to see if you like it.    You will have a hard time finding cheap lead these days.   I buy my lead and make about 10 different bullets.     Last time I had my lead level checked it was 4.      If you wash your hands, face and don't drink or eat while casting you will be okay.   I went over 100,000 bullets couple of years ago.    I shoot cast bullets in everything from 38 special to 300 Winchester magnum.

Sounds like it's working for you!

On 10/14/2016 at 8:48 PM, rustybayonet said:

Cost per 9mm 125gr bullet .06

This is buying lead and using powder coat paint.

The powder coat seems to work just as well as the hightec coating.

I do all my lead work outdoors.

Well, I have to say it looks like I have to go through all that to save one cent from what I can buy them for. I can buy Acme with my military discount for .07 each. I'm thinking casting might have to wait until I retire...

On 10/16/2016 at 4:53 PM, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Indeed, the cost difference will be play a big part of the decision...

Always ask for lead, always. Look in Craigslist, indoor ranges, Tire shops etc.... I bought 1000lbs of lead in ingots for $400 from an old timer that was getting out of casting and moving south. I love picking up deer slugs from the berm. People give me lead because they know I cast. So my lead cost is low. It was lots easier when wheel weights were lead. They were outlawed in this state years ago.

101_8950.JPG

I bought the gear and learned to cast my own. Then I packed everything up along with a large supply of lead I cleaned that's ready to load. Now it gathers dust because I have better things to do with my time then spend hours to save quarters.

I'm glad I went through the process, I learned a lot. I'm glad I have the gear and a lead supply in case of hard times. And I no longer feel the least bit bad about paying someone else to do all the work and for the postman to bring me ready-to-load bullets.

I just ran the numbers for what it cost me to cast 180 grain bullets for my .40 S&W. I am not taking into account cost of equipment or time, just the commercial lead I buy and cost of the HI TEK coating. I buy a 92% lead, 6% antimony, 2% tin mixture and coat with the powdered HI TEK coating. What I came up with is $0.06 each. If I bought the same weight coated bullet not counting shipping the cost (I am including taxes) is $0.113 each from the same company I buy the lead from. I am blessed with having a source of lead and commercial coated bullets a reasonable driving distance from my home. 

I cast all my bullets in the winter/off season. I have many days when the weather is terrible and casting bullets gives me something to do. My goal is to cast a minimum of 12,000 bullets for the upcoming season for practice and matches. 

I shoot 15,000 rounds a year and cast my own Boolits. I use range scrap lead exclusively. Finding lead is the hardest part of the process. I can afford buying my own bullets but I get a lot of personal enjoyment for the entire process. Plus I love beating my buddies with hot pink Boolits ?

20 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Always ask for lead, always. Look in Craigslist, indoor ranges, Tire shops etc.... I bought 1000lbs of lead in ingots for $400 from an old timer that was getting out of casting and moving south. I love picking up deer slugs from the berm. People give me lead because they know I cast. So my lead cost is low. It was lots easier when wheel weights were lead. They were outlawed in this state years ago.

101_8950.JPG

Awesome colors!

18 hours ago, RAP said:

I just ran the numbers for what it cost me to cast 180 grain bullets for my .40 S&W. I am not taking into account cost of equipment or time, just the commercial lead I buy and cost of the HI TEK coating. I buy a 92% lead, 6% antimony, 2% tin mixture and coat with the powdered HI TEK coating. What I came up with is $0.06 each. If I bought the same weight coated bullet not counting shipping the cost (I am including taxes) is $0.113 each from the same company I buy the lead from. I am blessed with having a source of lead and commercial coated bullets a reasonable driving distance from my home. 

I cast all my bullets in the winter/off season. I have many days when the weather is terrible and casting bullets gives me something to do. My goal is to cast a minimum of 12,000 bullets for the upcoming season for practice and matches. 

Another post indicated 6 cents each too. It seems at this point in my life as I am not yet retired, another penny is a great deal in exchange for the time needed to keep my golf handicap at a reasonable number. If I could only make my own golf balls - LOL!!!

Not sure where any huge savings come from casting your own unless you have access to free or nearly free lead.

Cheapest sources I can find online for lead suitable for bullets is $2.91 per pound. Add in cost of propane for cleaning and electricity for melting, as well as the coating or lube and at best you're breaking even casting your own.

You won't save any money, but its fun.   I buy bullets too because I can't cast .358 125 grain for what I can buy them.   Hey Absocold let me know if you want to sell your lead I will come to the west side and pick it up.

For me the cost of buying 12,000 180 grain NLG coated bullets from ACME is $1,110.00 not including shipping. I can cast and coat the same quantity for $720.00. It's a lot of work and if you put a $$$ on your time it won't make sense and buying is clearly cheaper. However, I really enjoy casting my own so the time invested is no big deal. 

Missouri Bullet has great casting lead alloy for $2.18 pound. 

6 minutes ago, RAP said:

For me the cost of buying 12,000 180 grain NLG coated bullets from ACME is $1,110.00 not including shipping. I can cast and coat the same quantity for $720.00. It's a lot of work and if you put a $$$ on your time it won't make sense and buying is clearly cheaper. However, I really enjoy casting my own so the time invested is no big deal. 

Missouri Bullet has great casting lead alloy for $2.18 pound. 

Missouri Bullets make a great bullet too.    I have also got lead from them.

2 hours ago, dannyd said:

You won't save any money, but its fun.   I buy bullets too because I can't cast .358 125 grain for what I can buy them.   Hey Absocold let me know if you want to sell your lead I will come to the west side and pick it up.

I'd sell you some but I don't really have that much, just enough set by for a rainy day, maybe 200lbs. I wish Gateway hadn't stopped selling range lead, that was awesome while it lasted. A plague on OSHA and their nitpicking.

Missouri .45acp 230gr softballs are what I'm buying these days. Tried many others, Missouri makes a very nice bullet at excellent prices. When I get the odd bullet missing part or all of the lube ring I don't even mind as I throw the bullet in my "to be smelted" pot for no loss of money.

On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 5:22 PM, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Well, I have to say it looks like I have to go through all that to save one cent from what I can buy them for. I can buy Acme with my military discount for .07 each. I'm thinking casting might have to wait until I retire...

7 hours ago, rustybayonet said:

Yes, but that's going high on metal costs. ($3 per pound of lead)

RB, I do want to cast my bullets and will do so. It clearly is the least expensive way and I'm sure I'd really enjoy the process as I am a tinkerer. I'm just not sure how I'd have the time to do it now. Perhaps the answer is to start on a micro small scale for now to coincide with buying some coated too..? Hmmm...

To get started you can skip the smelting/cleaning process and just buy clean bullet lead.

Production pot (suggest Lee 20lb, it's cheap and works).

Mold (2 cavity is easier than 6 but gets too hot quickly).

Mold handles.

Swaging die.

Coating or lube.

You can swage on any press but I'd get the small Lee Reloader for this job, its open design makes the job easier, you don't have to change up your main press, and it's only $20.

6 hours ago, Absocold said:

To get started you can skip the smelting/cleaning process and just buy clean bullet lead.

Production pot (suggest Lee 20lb, it's cheap and works).

Mold (2 cavity is easier than 6 but gets too hot quickly).

Mold handles.

Swaging die.

Coating or lube.

You can swage on any press but I'd get the small Lee Reloader for this job, its open design makes the job easier, you don't have to change up your main press, and it's only $20.

That how I started with a Lee and bucket of lead from the range.    The old 25 50 yard line @ Gateway all those bulleye 45 APC bullets.

23 hours ago, dannyd said:

Missouri Bullet has it for $2.18 pound. 

I Agree! I have shot thousands of their bullets and always been very happy with them.

On 10/18/2016 at 10:19 PM, dannyd said:

Thx DD! I just looked them up (been a busy week) and their hi-tek 2 (suppose to be the newest hi-tek recipe) coated bullets are extremely competitive - right at the same price as Acme! However they only show a FP in 9mm 147 gr...

1 hour ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Thx DD! I just looked them up (been a busy week) and their hi-tek 2 (suppose to be the newest hi-tek recipe) coated bullets are extremely competitive - right at the same price as Acme! However they only show a FP in 9mm 147 gr....

I your a vet or LEO call them and get their discount code.  Will save you 10%