Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about going coated...

IGOTGLOCKED

I switched from Extremes (I liked their 147 grain hollowpoints, but they cost a bunch more) to SNS Casting's 147 grain flatpoint and I'm happy. Started with Bayou's coated, but the SNS 147 grain bullet profile does away with the groove lube (which isn't needed), and I felt they loaded a bit easier and shot a bit more accurately. 

And yes, slightly less powder needed for the coated bullets, but powder isn't really the major expense in all this. 

I only had one odd moment; I had switched from the stock Glock barrel in my G34 to the Lone Wolf barrel in the midst of the shortage when all I could get was bare lead bullets. I kept using the LW when I shot plated and then coated with no issues -- until one day I hadn't cleaned in 500+ rounds, and I noticed keyholing in the targets. Somehow the Lone Wolf grooves were plugging up (presumably with the coating). It was easy to remove whatever was in the barrel, but I switched back to the stock Glock barrel, which -- several thousand rounds later -- hasn't shown signs of any kind of fouling from the coated bullet. 

I don't know what happened with the otherwise-fine Lone Wolf barrel, and while I keep telling myself I need to drag it out to the range and put 500 rounds through it in a session to see what happens, I haven't done so. 

YMMV.

Good luck.

TC

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coated bullets have been around in IPSC for over 20 years. I switched to HiTek coated bullets after my blood lead level got to 25 from running moly coated. First I used the Bayous, and then Black and Blue bullets from a local guy. My blood lead dropped to 8 in just 4 months. It is now down to 6 after 2 years, about the same as guys shooting FMJs. You still get lead from the primer, and from RO'ing other shooters who run lead. Coated bullets are as accurate as jacketed hollow points at less than half the price. They also take less powder. They run fine in hammer forged (polygonal) barrels and conventional barrels, although after a few hundred rounds there is slight staining but it is easily cleaned. The staining seems to be less in OEM barrels.  I've also run them to over 1,460 fps in my G31. A properly cured coating will not come off on you hands. 

357SIG with Bayou 124 TC    9mm with Black and Blue 125 TCRN

image37349.jpg

image37310.jpg

3 hours ago, TCWriter said:

I switched from Extremes (I liked their 147 grain hollowpoints, but they cost a bunch more) to SNS Casting's 147 grain flatpoint and I'm happy. Started with Bayou's coated, but the SNS 147 grain bullet profile does away with the groove lube (which isn't needed), and I felt they loaded a bit easier and shot a bit more accurately. 

And yes, slightly less powder needed for the coated bullets, but powder isn't really the major expense in all this. 

I only had one odd moment; I had switched from the stock Glock barrel in my G34 to the Lone Wolf barrel in the midst of the shortage when all I could get was bare lead bullets. I kept using the LW when I shot plated and then coated with no issues -- until one day I hadn't cleaned in 500+ rounds, and I noticed keyholing in the targets. Somehow the Lone Wolf grooves were plugging up (presumably with the coating). It was easy to remove whatever was in the barrel, but I switched back to the stock Glock barrel, which -- several thousand rounds later -- hasn't shown signs of any kind of fouling from the coated bullet. 

I don't know what happened with the otherwise-fine Lone Wolf barrel, and while I keep telling myself I need to drag it out to the range and put 500 rounds through it in a session to see what happens, I haven't done so. 

YMMV.

Good luck.

TC

All the input is much appreciated, thanks TC!

3 hours ago, 9x45 said:

Coated bullets have been around in IPSC for over 20 years. I switched to HiTek coated bullets after my blood lead level got to 25 from running moly coated. First I used the Bayous, and then Black and Blue bullets from a local guy. My blood lead dropped to 8 in just 4 months. It is now down to 6 after 2 years, about the same as guys shooting FMJs. You still get lead from the primer, and from RO'ing other shooters who run lead. Coated bullets are as accurate as jacketed hollow points at less than half the price. They also take less powder. They run fine in hammer forged (polygonal) barrels and conventional barrels, although after a few hundred rounds there is slight staining but it is easily cleaned. The staining seems to be less in OEM barrels.  I've also run them to over 1,460 fps in my G31. A properly cured coating will not come off on you hands. 

357SIG with Bayou 124 TC    9mm with Black and Blue 125 TCRN

image37349.jpg

image37310.jpg

Glad you got your BLL down! And I appreciate you addressing it as elevating my BLL is a concern. I understand that can be an issue more with molly coated than the new "hi tec" coatings right?

For me, it was moly coated 9mm 125s running on top of TiteGroup at about 1,150 fps that did it. Some guys running 180/200gr 40S&W and 200/230 gr 45acp don't seem to get any leading,  I think it depends on the load. In my use, HiTek does not lead. If you have never checked your blood lead, you should to get a baseline. One of our regular guys got himself up to 78, shooting every Saturday and Sunday, practice during the week, and had to go to ER. Migraine headaches, squirting out of both ends, black lips, etc. Spent a week in chelation treatment. Then they had to restore all the good minerals that were ripped out along with the lead. 

200 rounds of Hare Creek moly coated...

image36199.jpg

8 minutes ago, CrashDodson said:

The bullet profile just depends on what your gun likes and will feed well.  Most 40 major is subsonic with a 180 or 200 grain bullet.  I heavy slow bullet is less snappy then a light fast bullet.

Understood but why is there a subsonic bullet if the determining factor of being subsonic is use a heavier bullet and less load..?

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED

I guess I'm not following. Any round that travels less than 1125 fps is sub sonic regardless of bullet weight. Since power factor is bullet speed divided by bullet weight you can make major with a heavy bullet traveling less than 1k fps. The lighter the bullet the faster it must be going to meet powerfactor. Please excuse me if you know all of this I just didn't completely understand your question.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, CrashDodson said:

I guess I'm not following. Any round that travels less than 1125 fps is sub sonic regardless of bullet weight. Since power factor is bullet speed divided by bullet weight you can make major with a heavy bullet traveling less than 1k fps. The lighter the bullet the faster it must be going to meet powerfactor. Please excuse me if you know all of this I just didn't completely understand your question.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

No worries brother... I was looking at coated bullets and saw Acme has two 147 gr mm HT bullets. One says Subsonic and the other is not. My understanding is I am able to load either to subsonic speed correct? If so why is a bullet listed specifically as "subsonic"? 

I hope I did a better job of typing what I am trying to ask...

Subsonic rounds (not bullets, bullets are just bullets) are simply running at less than the speed of sound and used for suppressors or silencers. There is a hugh difference in noise level produced above and below the speed of sound.

Subsonic and supersonic don't mean anything in competition. The only concern is do you want to shoot minor or major? So your 147 gr bullet going 870 fps is subsonic and makes minor, and a 147 running 1,142 fps is supersonic and makes major, that's all. 

7 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

Subsonic rounds (not bullets, bullets are just bullets) are simply running at less than the speed of sound and used for suppressors or silencers. There is a hugh difference in noise level produced above and below the speed of sound.

I do understand that. I apologize I am not able to better explain what I am asking. If you have time to go to Acme's website and look at the 147 grain bullets. One specifically says "Subsonic". I dunno...

In my short throated CZ some RN are real close to being unusable.  I have to seat BBI 135gr to 1.08".  I can seat Acme 147gr out to 1.125".  My S&W and 1911 will take any of them.  

Blue bullets are .355 while most others are .356-.357 although Blue bullets shoot well for me.

Use a taper crimp.  

Blue Bullets 147 flat nose have been working for me through the last few thousand rounds and I have no reason to switch.  If I ever get good enough to outshoot the accuracy I'll likely have moved on to something other than Production anyway.  

After a ton of 9 mm 147 Xtreme HP.....I tried Blue Bullet 147 RN......could not be happier.....powder consumption dropped 10%, costs dropped 20%..... chronographed very well.....I'm a satisfied customer.

10 hours ago, TANFARM said:

After a ton of 9 mm 147 Xtreme HP.....I tried Blue Bullet 147 RN......could not be happier.....powder consumption dropped 10%, costs dropped 20%..... chronographed very well.....I'm a satisfied customer.

Awesome, sounds like another happy camper!

On 10/17/2016 at 0:40 AM, yellowfin said:

Blue Bullets 147 flat nose have been working for me through the last few thousand rounds and I have no reason to switch.  If I ever get good enough to outshoot the accuracy I'll likely have moved on to something other than Production anyway.  

Are blue bullets HI Tec coated or another type of coating? If another does it adequately and safely cover the lead?

Jumping back a few frames... I have a G19 & a 43 both gen 4's. Any experience with these or Glocks over all regarding RN or FN preferences and why? I like the 147 gr and I've loaded mostly RN due to cost but also have loaded Rainier which is FN. Not sure I could tell a difference? Could there be more of a difference between a FN & RN in a coated bullet?

Flat-nosed bullets (obviously) tend to be shorter and fatter in profile. That means that in many firearms you'd have to load a 147 very, very short. Makes like CZ or Smith M&P come to mind, which have very short chambers. A Glock will certainly still take them out to 1.140 or 1.150" OAL and perhaps even longer, so I do not think it matters too much.

I'd go coated without hesitation. I have tried Zero 230gn, HiTek coated 230gn, and Blue Bullets 230gn. The Blue Bullets seem far more slick than either of the first two I mentioned. When I start loading for 9mm, I'll likely get some samples of 135 and 147 just to see what I like better. As long as they feed reliably and go where they are supposed to, I don't see a need to keep trying diferent stuff.

I clean my 1911 after every other range trip and have yet to get anything but the soot from the barrel. Just took me a bit to figure out how long to load them to in order to have everything feed reliably. I think I load to 1.250 and have zero issues with the 230 gn Blue Bullets. When I was trying 1.26+ I'd have a feed problem here or there.

Jumping back a few frames... I have a G19 & a 43 both gen 4's. Any experience with these or Glocks over all regarding RN or FN preferences and why? I like the 147 gr and I've loaded mostly RN due to cost but also have loaded Rainier which is FN. Not sure I could tell a difference? Could there be more of a difference between a FN & RN in a coated bullet?

Why not try sample packs from those companies you are considering? Reduce whatever charge you have been using with plated by 10% and you should be close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, ArrDave said:

Why not try sample packs from those companies you are considering? Reduce whatever charge you have been using with plated by 10% and you should be close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Dave, good advice! Also I had read how i'd save $ shooting coated using a smaller charge but didn't know how much less to start with reducing for coated.

Cheers!

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED