Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 life. How many rounds can I shoot thru it?

hwansikcjswo

I have 2 of S2. and one of them is my practice which is very beat up, shot 40k+ rounds with it.

The accuracy now is terrible comparing to when I first bought it or my other gun (which is match gun). and I have been using the same ammo

I regularly change out parts except the barrel or the slide.

Also, I tried swapping the barrel with the match gun, but the accuracy wasn't still there.

One really interesting thing is that the practice gun is super accurate with 124gr PMC ammo or 124gr American Eagel. 

Is my gun dead? Should I retire the gun for dryfire only?

Did you just swap the barrel of the match gun on? Or did you swap the whole top end? The barrels are fit to the slide. So if you did only the barrel that might be why it is not as accurate as expected. 

A matched barrel and slide should, in theory give you the accuracy you desire.

But in the spirit of the question... The amount of ammo to shoot out the barrel depends on the barrel. I know guys with 250k rounds through revolvers and 1911s with no problems. But those are custom guns with primo parts too.

If this doesn't make sense, blame it on the bourbon... Its my day off from work so I've had a few drinks.

Edited by ryridesmotox

Slug both barrels. But I would first run copper and lead fouling remover first.  bullet diameter difference between loads might explain the behaviour.

40k isn't that much and I would be looking at copper or lead fouling reducing spin stability. Obviously, we can't inspect your gun, nor know your cleaning procedures, etc so this is just general direction to investigate.

Oh.... just had a thought. Inspecting the barrel and slide locking lugs... is there wear or any "lip" forming? Especially at the chamber end.  might not be going in to solid lock.  when the slide is forward, is the lock solid? No wiggle at the barrel end?  inspecting the slide end, is there wear from the barrel?

Edited by johnbu
Miss Spelling

johnbu is on point. It may be the barrel diameter has changed over the 40k rounds, though it should have not.  If you mainly shoot coated, leading can be bad depending on which bullets you use and how good their coating is.  Did you notice any keyhole problems with your practice gun shooting your handload?  

The sure way is to slug both barrels and see if they have the same diameter.  

Or, get some oversized coated bullets, say 0.357'' ones, and try them on your practice gun. 

6 hours ago, johnbu said:

Oh.... just had a thought. Inspecting the barrel and slide locking lugs... is there wear or any "lip" forming? Especially at the chamber end.  might not be going in to solid lock.  when the slide is forward, is the lock solid? No wiggle at the barrel end?  inspecting the slide end, is there wear from the barrel?

My practice gun has a lot of wear on the locking lugs. and when I wiggle the slide and barrel when the slide is forward, it wiggle significantly more than the match gun.

I ordered some .356 coated bullets to try out.

but most of the 40k rounds I fired were Xtreme 124 gr Plated bullets.

Also, I don't clean the practice gun as much. maybe once in 5k?

How often do you oil the practice gun between cleanings? Mine gets re-oiled each time I'm about to head to the range.

My gun is likewise filthy for most of it's life, but I try to keep it well lubed. IMO, that's more important than keeping it clean.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

The wiggle is the barrel moving independently of the slide.  that affects accuracy.  the slide/barrel assembly wiggling in the frame is of no concern. Does the barrel easily move while slide fully forward?

The wear on the lugs is a bit of concern. You might need to have a competent smith inspect and see if it needs him to tighten the fit. However, since some loadings are accurate, I wouldn't think it's the cause. Still leaning toward the barrel fouling or the rounds in question slightly smaller in diameter.  Are you currently running 0.355" projectiles?  I run 356 coated.

3 hours ago, hwansikcjswo said:

My practice gun has a lot of wear on the locking lugs. and when I wiggle the slide and barrel when the slide is forward, it wiggle significantly more than the match gun.

I ordered some .356 coated bullets to try out.

but most of the 40k rounds I fired were Xtreme 124 gr Plated bullets.

Also, I don't clean the practice gun as much. maybe once in 5k?

My primary gun (practice and match gun, my backup never gets used) chrono'd 6pf slower than my backup when I had to go to it at a match this year. Looking inside the barrel the rifling is much less pronounced than on the hardly used gun but other than that, the main gun is just as accurate and has the best trigger of any CZ or tanfo I've ever held.  

EAA does sell them, I emailed them earlier this year about it. $328 for a new barrel.