Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Targets you never can see

Dave Campbell

Abs, you just have not shot that many USPSA matches yet. You will find it's right handed shooter biased, because most stage setters are right handed. Generally too bad for lefties....  And it can never tough enough for GMs', they will still smoke the stage regardless.

Edited by 9x45

So after 600+  views,  a few comments , no rules that support the use of boxes to shoot over high walls and /'or big leans that prevent shooters from seeing the targets have been presented,  so the only way I'll get an answer, it seems is to protest at a level 2 or higher match. If I shoot long enough I guess I'll get an answer .

1 hour ago, Dave Campbell said:

So after 600+  views,  a few comments , no rules that support the use of boxes to shoot over high walls and /'or big leans that prevent shooters from seeing the targets have been presented,  so the only way I'll get an answer, it seems is to protest at a level 2 or higher match. If I shoot long enough I guess I'll get an answer .

And there are no rules that prohibit the use of boxes. There is this:

2.1.6 Obstacles – Natural or created obstacles in a course of fire should reasonably allow for variations in competitors’ height and physical build and should be constructed to provide reasonable safety for all competitors, Match Officials and spectators.

I guess the question is what is the scope of "reasonable"?.

1. 4.5.2  The competitor may request that Match Officials take corrective actions to ensure consistency in respect of the range surface, the presentation of targets and/or any other matter. The Range Master will have final authority concerning all such requests. 

2. SO THIS SOUNDS LIKE WE CAN ASK BUT NOTHING MUST BE DONE.

3. I GUESS A REALLY TALL SHOOTER COULD ASK THAT A BOX BE REMOVED? THINK THAT WOULD FLY THE SAME AS A SHORT SHOOTER ASKING FOR A BOX?

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the world of left handed problems. I have been on stages where I have had to change shooting hand in order to hit a target, there simply was no other way to shoot without violating the boundary rules. While not a common issue, it does arise. On the other hand, I have shot stages where being a left hander was quite an advantage since the barriers and walls were set in a way to force you "normal" handed shooters to really twist and turn to get a shot.

The point I am trying to make is while we should all attempt to make sure stages are somewhat equitable, it will never happen.I would think if one shooter out of 125 needs a box because they have no way to see the target otherwise, what is the harm? It is simply impossible to make every stage shooter neutral, and providing a common sense solution would seem to be the best course. I know stage designers face tough issues, and get all kinds of flak for a perceived error, or this target stand is at 5'2" instead of 5'2145",  and whatever other minute point certain pain in the a@#@ shooters bring to every match. It would seem to me, (just an average shooter) that coming up with the simplest answer is usually always the best.

I really respect the time and aggravation stage designers go through. There is never a lack of criticism from shooters at some of the matches on how this stage should be this way, or this was just a spray and pray stage, or the sun is in my eyes. If we didn't have these volunteers, we would be shooting some really boring matches, or ones that scare the crap out of you.