Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats your favorite coated bullet

Targetpractice

Favorite coated bullet?   

425 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There seems to be no shortage of casters who've jumped on the coated bandwagon, mostly using Hi-Tek.  

Some of the later ones in this thread, I'd never even heard of before, seem to be running at a lower margin than the more established places.

I'm tempted to try some of H&S's 147gr 9mm and Shooter Ready's 45-200-TC.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I think bullet choice comes down to a few things. 

Number one is quality control, accuracy, etc.

Then price and customer service.

Finally, I think location plays a part in it.

If quality, price and customer service are generally in the ball park among coated bullets I will get mine from the company who makes deliveries to regional matches, at a discount, where the owner shoots those same matches, sponsors regional matches etc.

Around here that is Black Bullets International. BBI customer service is exceptional. I have emailed the owner for load info and Chandler responds immediately with loads he ACTUALLY shoots.

Never have tried BBI.  Owe it to myself to give them a try.  Just ordered 125 and 147 eval packs.  

On 11/6/2016 at 5:43 PM, 78Staff said:

A minor complaint about BBI is their packaging - they fill boxes by count, ie if 800 bullets fit in their box, they put 800 in, vs. most other companies who standardize on 500.  So if you ordered 1k rounds of 9mm you get one box with 800 and one with 200, or something like that.  It's a minor thing, but with other companies ie  Xtreme, Zero, etc I look on the shelf, if I see 8 Xtreme boxes I know I have 4k rounds.  If I see 8 BBI boxes I have to pay attention to the handwritten count on the label to know what I have.  Not a big deal, but prefer they would standardize like everyone else.

Probably because he sells more by the case than by smaller amounts? I don't know. I order only by the case when it comes to bullets. If you order a case of 3500 BBI's you get 4 boxes of 875 with printed labels.

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

Probably because he sells more by the case than by smaller amounts? I don't know. I order only by the case when it comes to bullets. If you order a case of 3500 BBI's you get 4 boxes of 875 with printed labels.

Could be, I ordered a bit differently as I wanted to try several of their bullets, ie 1k  of 45, 1k of 40, and 1k of 9mm etc... - all came in two boxes but different counts. 9mm was 875/125, 45 was 625/375 I think, 40 something close to that as well.  Just seems counter intuitive to me, than to just sell in strait up boxes of 500 like every other bullet manf does :).

I'd assume if one ordered 3500 45's you wouldn't get 4 boxes of 875, but 5 boxes of 625 (as that is all that fits, apparently) or whatever, and then a partial box of the remainder to equal 3500, for instance.

Edited by 78Staff

9 hours ago, 78Staff said:

Could be, I ordered a bit differently as I wanted to try several of their bullets, ie 1k  of 45, 1k of 40, and 1k of 9mm etc... - all came in two boxes but different counts. 9mm was 875/125, 45 was 625/375 I think, 40 something close to that as well.  Just seems counter intuitive to me, than to just sell in strait up boxes of 500 like every other bullet manf does :).

I'd assume if one ordered 3500 45's you wouldn't get 4 boxes of 875, but 5 boxes of 625 (as that is all that fits, apparently) or whatever, and then a partial box of the remainder to equal 3500, for instance.

Almost everyone determines their case sizes by what fits in an USPS medium flat rate box. In BBI's case he splits it into four separate sub-boxes of whatever fits.

Yes it makes counting a little harder, particularly if you load multiple caliber and bullet weights, but it is more efficient for your shipping dollar.

9 hours ago, 78Staff said:

You only get 2000 230's in a case. Since weight is what matters at case quantities you only get wha ships for flat rate fee.

You only get 2000 230's in a case. Since weight is what matters at case quantities you only get wha ships for flat rate fee.

Which makes it odd that Shooter Ready says they use flat rate boxes, but can only fit 1500 200-230gr bullets in a box. What else are they putting in the box?

46 minutes ago, njl said:

Which makes it odd that Shooter Ready says they use flat rate boxes, but can only fit 1500 200-230gr bullets in a box. What else are they putting in the box?

Their post office might be one of those that limit flat rate boxes to 60lbs instead of the USPS 70lbs.

4 hours ago, PPGMD said:

Their post office might be one of those that limit flat rate boxes to 60lbs instead of the USPS 70lbs.

Didn't know there were some with lower limits...but 1500 * 230 / 7000 = 49lbs and a fraction.  The box and padding can't be 10lbs.  That many 200gr is only just under 43lbs.

1 hour ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

Folks, i'm new to the coated bullets and am re-starting reloading after a 20 year hiatus.  If cost was identical to plated, would you choose coated over plated?  (Again, assuming cost was identical).

Coated. I would say.  Think of it as lead without the mess and smoke.  Still going to be more accurate, longer barrel life (theoretically),simpler load data than plated.

I use SNS coated. 

I shoot a 160GR RN for my 9mm. 

This runs nice and flat out of 1911 and my M&P low  recoil, accurate .

I shoot a 165GR RN out of my 40 Limited .

SNS is a great company to work with .

If you have any questions or issues they will take care of it . Great Match sponsorship support for the shooting sports  . 

They have never let me down . Long time client . 

Laszlo 

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:13 PM, nelson1each said:

Love Black bullets....super fast shipping...excellent customer service 

I have had great results with the Black Bullets 135gr for 9mm, but not so much with the 180gr in .40 - for the .40 I use Blue Bullets.

23 hours ago, candiru said:

How do the Blacks 135 compare the the Blues 135?

Haven't tried the blue 135s.  The blacks worked just fine.  I went and tried the blue 180s because I was having trouble with my .40 rounds.  Bullets didn't seem to sit consistently in the case and I was having feed problems.  It might not have the bullets TBH.  I changed a few other things to fix the problem.  I just stuck with the blues.

On 10/11/2016 at 6:32 PM, 9x45 said:

Carl, you can run HiTek coated bullets out of any hammer forged barrel (polygonal). I've pushed them to well over 1,400 fps in my Glock 31. 

My favorite is a local guy, Black and Blue Bullets out of Yucca Valley. He only sells locally at a 25K minimum, but has shooter reps who deliver the product to the ranges within 150 miles.

125 grain Truncated Cone Round Nose on the right, 124 TC Bayou on the left. I think they are equal in quality, but because Black and Blue is local to me, it's more than 20% savings in $$$$.

image37310.jpg

Thanks man. I'll have to check them out. I finally got some powder so it's time to start loading again!

• 1 year later...