Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Push Thru Die

tomjerry1

1 hour ago, tomjerry1 said:

What is everyone's take on using a sizing die after using a push thru die? I guess in theory, it shouldn't be needed. 

I still need to run my brass through the sizing dies so that it can be decapped and a new primer installed.

After using a Redding GRX I find that if I use a universal de-capping die in station one, the cases look more like new ammunition. With both a Lee and Redding re sizing die, if adjusted to the plate I get left with quite a marked ring where the case has been sized to about. 417.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I decap, clean, run thru the GRx, and then the sizing die when going thru the loading process. I have a new KKM barrel(40 cal), my crimps where .423 and would hang up in the chamber. I lowered the crimp while using the barrel as a chamber guage to .420. I shot this weekend and everything worked, but still have a nagging erge about my crimp. I bell just enough to get the bullet setting on the case, but it seems like when passing thru the crimp die, at .420, I can still feel a slight edge on the case. Maybe I am worrying about nothing???

The "push through" die is set to chamber minimum dimensions.

The sizing die is set BELOW the cartridge minimum dimensions.

They are NOT the same thing. One ensures that the case will chamber.

The other ensures the case is sized down enough to hold the bullet tight and improve feeding by making case a bit smaller than needed to simply chamber.

No lube here. Grx die on lee single stage. Everybody said lube cases first. I tried it one day with out lube and it works just fine. Every now and then there's a case that's a little hard but other than that it's not bad at all. 

This is the same process that I do. Using the carbide GRX die runs them with no issues. On occasion you have one that is tougher than the rest.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
On 10/31/2016 at 10:23 PM, anbrumm said:

This is the same process that I do. Using the carbide GRX die runs them with no issues. On occasion you have one that is tougher than the rest.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

This has been my experience as well.

• 1 month later...

You can't just use the grx die. You MUST subsequently size in a sizing die. The Grx gets the over all case so it's back more or less to a straight wall. The regular sizing die, even dual ring sets the neck tension, which is needed when seating. I suspect if you use just the grx, my guess is there is a good chance you will have bullet setback issues.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I really like using the GRX push through size die. Can honestly say I dont think I ever had a case that went through the size die fail on a case gauge.  I just dont want to sit there and use the push through die then put everything in a machine and load it. To much work to avoid the 1 round that doesnt fit in the Hundo gauge. 

7 hours ago, hceuterpe said:

You can't just use the grx die. You MUST subsequently size in a sizing die. The Grx gets the over all case so it's back more or less to a straight wall. The regular sizing die, even dual ring sets the neck tension, which is needed when seating. I suspect if you use just the grx, my guess is there is a good chance you will have bullet setback issues.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You are correct, when I said I use the GRX die, I meant that I size on a separate single stage press then still run it through the regular sizing die in my first station on my 650 too. 

15 hours ago, anbrumm said:

You are correct, when I said I use the GRX die, I meant that I size on a separate single stage press then still run it through the regular sizing die in my first station on my 650 too. 

Same here. Grx on a Lee single stage than onto the 650 which I run a Dillon resize die and lee bullet seater and factory crimp 

Like many I use a redding on a single stage Lee then on to the Dillon.  I did notice that when I switched to wet tumbling I had to use a little one shot to make the cases go through the grx with a reasonable push. 

I have used the Redding GRX followed by the Lee u-die and have had very good results.  The u-die or the grx by itself are both great but with both together I get almost no issues with barrel or case guage. 

+1 for the REDDING GRX.... just wish it was faster, 700 cases hr. with the GRX then 600-700 rounds hr. made with the Dillon 650= 325-350 rds. hr. when finished :huh:

The push through is a PIA.

Guess that's the price one pays to play with 40S&W range brass.

G