Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feedback on possible Open "Smith"

cheers623

Alright...after many years of accumulating parts for an Open build, I'm at a decision point. I've literally got every single part of the build, chosen from the best sources around, sitting in a box...waiting. Now I've just got to choose a builder. One small caveat though...it'll have a slide mounted red dot...specifically a Leupold Deltapoint Pro and be chambered in 9Major. It's a long story...but I'm left-handed and have LARGE hands that tend to trap ejected brass. So mounts are out of the question. Even with the 90 degree mounts I trap brass. 

The local guy I used in Seattle, John Larson, makes great pistols but I moved to Kentucky. He's a possibility still. The rest of the short list looks like this:

Bedell, Cheeley, Freedom, CKArms, Lonestar, Eddie Garcia, and Cameron's. The sticking point may be the red dot milling for the slide though. I know Bedell does it with the Deltapoint, he's posted photos on his website. Any other thoughts or suggestions? I don't want this thread to turn into a p****ing match though. Please, helpful/informative feedback only...pretty please...

Cheers623

DVC

Contact Gary Natale at Gan's Guns and see what he can do for you. All contact with Gary is via e-mail. He built my first 2011 Limited gun in 7 days after he received my parts. Great list of builders ?  Glenn Rash with Lone Star Innovations and Shay Akai with Akai Custom Guns are also excellent gunsmiths. I have guns built by all three and they are great guns 

Edited by Aggieddad02

Hello: I would ask around who in your area is good and can get it done in a timely manner. Some smiths are backed up for months or even years. Having a local smith can help a lot when building up an open gun if you have questions or want to change something. Make sure the smith you pick can build open guns since they are a little different. I would check local then pick one that has a style you like or can make what you want. Thanks, Eric

If I was in your position, I would contact RodneyLtd here on the forums.  Not a well known name, but a great guy and builder.  He has done a couple of guns for me and they worked great.  Big plus he is in Lafayette IN. 

Most of these builders must be working non stop, as I've only heard back from 2 in the past few months. Either that or they only want to deal with new builds? Gary Natale has been the best I've ever dealt with.  Glenn @ Lonestar was/is supposed to be milling an Open slide, but that started back in July and I can rarely get a hold of him nor have I heard anything about my slide being done.  He has my racker and was supposed to fit it. Somehow my order slipped through the cracks with the other slides back in july/sept and now who knows.... Sad thing, I wanted an open slide, compensator, and his rear bomar style sight to put on another build and was looking at having him build me a 9 limited for 3gun.  

I just messaged Blackdog Gunworks yesterday about an open slide as I like his tier rear swoop design and overall open slide design. Have to wait and see if just milling a slide is something they will do.   I'll just buy a new racker at this point as I'm tired of waiting. 

Hit up Jeff Abernathy from Tommy gun! Tell him David Wampler sent you! Super nice guy that can do anything u want to a 2011! Just had my 2011 custom build touched up by him. Turn around time was a week. I'm sure it varies from job to job but he is a sold dude! He build some of Todd J guns. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...