Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA to USPSA

JerryShoots

I love IDPA and I have no intention of ever leaving my favorite sport.  That being said I want to become more involved in USPSA than I have been previously.

Can some of you that have crossed over from CDP to SS or those that shoot both give me some of your thoughts about making the adjustment?

Primarily I am interested in the differences in holster and mag pouch rules.  I have concerns that if I do not run my same gear for both I could develop bad habits.

Also I would like to hear thoughts on revolver between the two sports.  I have not taken up the wheel gun in either game yet so I would like to get a stronger grasp on the differences between the two.

Thanks!

Jerry

Revolver is painful to watch and really slows a squad down. If you aren't running large basepads on your SS mags,that would be something to consider.  Depending on the club, your mags can take a beating. 

2 hours ago, Delta66 said:

Revolver is painful to watch and really slows a squad down. If you aren't running large basepads on your SS mags,that would be something to consider.  Depending on the club, your mags can take a beating. 

Actually we are faster than autos as we don't have to wait around for brass scrounging and sorting. If your goal is to shoot as fast as you can and not reload, then auto is the way to go. If you want to plan and execute the stage and be more deliberate with your shots, then revolver is your game. Either one is fun and each one requires a different mind set to shoot.

You don't drop your empties with revolver?

As far as holster and rules go, I have a USPSA set up and a slightly different IDPA set up.

Some would say it is unwise not to use the exact same rig for both, but the fact that you usually need to draw with the fishing vest on dictates that your draw motion is significantly different.

As such, I optimize for each sport.

Any legal IDPA holster and mag pouch will be USPSA legal. Have 4-5 mags on your belt. The USPSA box is slightly larger so no problem there either.

i wrote the rules for Single Stack to provide an easy transition from one sport to the other.

Welcome and have fun.

21 minutes ago, IronArcher said:

You don't drop your empties with revolver?

As far as holster and rules go, I have a USPSA set up and a slightly different IDPA set up.

Some would say it is unwise not to use the exact same rig for both, but the fact that you usually need to draw with the fishing vest on dictates that your draw motion is significantly different.

As such, I optimize for each sport.

We drop all 8 in a moon clip and it all stays on the moon clip. No hunting and searching for individual pieces of brass. Plus at major matches we get all our brass back. ?

We drop all 8 in a moon clip and it all stays on the moon clip. No hunting and searching for individual pieces of brass. Plus at major matches we get all our brass back. [emoji4]

Even running SLs, the empties get dumped in one place.

Not as convenient as moons, but still a lot easier to find than with bottom feeders.

Jerry, here is the really best part about USPSA, you can shoot it just like you are still shooting IDPA (except for lots more mags). Use concealment, and cover, and retained reloads, and tactical/sequential priority, etc, Why? Because there is no rule against it! No one is going to tell you how to engage the stage, or when to shoot what and where, you are on you own to figure that. But here's the catch, you most likely will shoot USPSA from now on.

18 hours ago, revoman said:

Actually we are faster than autos as we don't have to wait around for brass scrounging and sorting. If your goal is to shoot as fast as you can and not reload, then auto is the way to go. If you want to plan and execute the stage and be more deliberate with your shots, then revolver is your game. Either one is fun and each one requires a different mind set to shoot.

I'm not sure where you are shooting but where I shoot if your holding up the squad by picking up brass when everyone is reseting it's going to be a problem. 

I ran the same belt, holster, and pouches when I first started USPSA Production, using my SSP rig.  I just added more magazine pouches.  It took a while for me to get used to always starting a reload when I started moving, and to analyze stages differently.  But it wasn't a big transition.

Since then, I have given up IDPA and switched to a more competitive rig.  Stop worrying and give it a try with your IDPA rig.

On 10/7/2016 at 11:40 PM, teros135 said:

Never no mind, he's just trolling.  

No, I'm not. However it could just be the revolver shooters in my area/section. If i was shooting with Jerry Miculek, I'd likely have a different opinion. I don't pick up brass during matches, so that's a non-issue. 

Gotcha.  In our area the revolver guys are fun to watch, and I can appreciate their creative stage planning.  They don't take so long, after all, and picking up speed loaders is pretty much like picking up mags. 

Everybody should try 8 rounds sometime, I think, to appreciate their feel for the planning involved.  Kind of like 10-round divisions but with more concern for accuracy. 

We had a guy last week shoot a six shot revolver.  Was a lot slower than an eight shot.  Lot of standing reloads.  Only advantage is with six shots you can be scored major.  Still didn't help him in the scoring.  But he had fun, and that is all that matters.

11 hours ago, BARRYJ said:

We had a guy last week shoot a six shot revolver.  Was a lot slower than an eight shot.  Lot of standing reloads.  ...

Yeah, just about every array as I have yet to see a USPSA array that has less than 8 shots. Even on plate rack they'll throw in an extra target to make it 8 rounds.

I would tend to think that you would be more likely to develop bad IDPA habits from your USPSA stage planning and execution, more so than any equipment setup changes.  Things like not caring about cover or engagement order, dropping partially loaded mags, and airgunning the stage during the walkthrough.

Do you own two cars? Can you switch from one car to the next and still drive it OK? Can you go from a manual to an automatic transmission and back again? Then you can handle going back and forth between uspsa and idpa with no issues.

If you keep your gear so that you don't need to make any changes to switch I can't see you having any trouble at all. As long as you know the current IDPA rules.

I just shot my 1st IDPA sanctioned match in about 4 years the other day. My normal gear is a Open gun in USPSA, I'll shoot IDPA 3-4 times a year at the club level. I borrowed a 9mm 1911 to shoot ESP in this level 3 IDPA match. I managed to do okay with the change, if I was used to shooting that style gun it would of been no problem at all.

I challenge you to a dual!!!!!

I love stomping slow lazy bottom feeders.. its like bring logic to a conversation with a liberal... mind blowing..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk