Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting in a hurricane

thejez

So I am thinking about these guys shooting with a hurricane bearing down on them and I was wondering how much or little wind before you have to start factoring it into your shots?  I know USPSA doesn't have super long shots but would a 60mph cross wind effect a 15 yard pistol shot?

I'm sure it does but probably not enough to justify hold over or to drive the shot out of the A zone unless you were right on the perf anyway.  At that point a C zone near the perf might be driven into the A zone.  I don't think you could try to compensate for it while trying to shoot at speed.  The time lost trying to hold over would almost definetly out weigh the advantage.  All that said I'm not even sure you would be able to tell the difference with a hand gun as the wind would be blowing the gun itself all over the place.  Maybe if you were resting on sand bags you might be able to pick it up.  Would be interesting to know for sure tho.  

10 hours ago, thejez said:

So I am thinking about these guys shooting with a hurricane bearing down on them and I was wondering how much or little wind before you have to start factoring it into your shots?  I know USPSA doesn't have super long shots but would a 60mph cross wind effect a 15 yard pistol shot?

Targets up to 50 yards at Ltd Nats 

At some point, it's a mut point. The affect on the shooter getting blown to heck and back will overshadow the wind effect on the bullet's flight!

On 10/07/2016 at 7:10 AM, crowmag said:

With a 60 mph wind shooting 124g bullets at major you will have 2 inches of wind drift at 25 yards

• 4 months later...