Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FAL Mag Reload Tips

OK kind of an offbeat question.  I know some on here have used a FAL in Heavy Metal. I was wondering if ya'll have any tips to speed up mag reloads. I realize that an FAL reload isn't going to be as quick as an AR pattern rifle or the M1A1 but was curious if someone had a technique that helped them speed up. Thanks!!

You gotta nail down the proper grab of the new mag, and the getting the front catch on the mag into its slot in the magwell.  Its all gross motions.

Assuming you're a right handed shooter. You can also use extended mag release catch so your trigger finger can release the mag in the rifle.   If a lefty, use the new mag to hit the mag release on the reload stroke.

Weak hand reloads are easier because the FAL has that nicely designed shelf to lay the mag onto and slide into place.  Get the front in place and rock back, and you'll be solid.  I agree with using the trigger finger to hit the mag release - I use a stock metric mag release and can do this fine with small hands.  I don't have a stock pistol grip, so that may be the difference.  I found I'm more reliable (and therefore quicker overall) if I bring the rifle down from my shoulder to reload.  Reloading with the rifle in the shoulder is faster, but for me I was more likely to fumble something so I don't do it anymore.

Some mags drop free on their own and some don't - but you can easily modify the ones that don't if you want them all to drop free.  See here for some technique examples:

• 3 weeks later...

The FAL is a wonderful platform and I still  have some great ones to this day. Extremely soft shooting and extremely reliable. Accuracy will hurt your feelings though when compared to these new ar10s. Shot them for several years in 3gun and the reload was down on my list of things to worry about. I find everything in between the reload to be more important.

On October 22, 2016 at 6:57 PM, hgr2 said:

The FAL is a wonderful platform and I still  have some great ones to this day. Extremely soft shooting and extremely reliable. Accuracy will hurt your feelings though when compared to these new ar10s. Shot them for several years in 3gun and the reload was down on my list of things to worry about. I find everything in between the reload to be more important.

All true - what are you shooting now?

Hello Matt,

I have been shooting a DPMS 308 that has a few of the original parts still on it. Bennie at Triangle Shooting Sports built it for me about 4 years ago. It is really a great rifle.

Vortex Razor with JM reticle is spot on to 600yrds using 135 smks at 2750fps.  

21 hours ago, hgr2 said:

Hello Matt,

I have been shooting a DPMS 308 that has a few of the original parts still on it. Bennie at Triangle Shooting Sports built it for me about 4 years ago. It is really a great rifle.

Vortex Razor with JM reticle is spot on to 600yrds using 135 smks at 2750fps.  

Thank you sir - I've been awfully tempted to try one of the new Gen2 DPMS rifles, but it's hard to give up my good old FAL.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

In my experience from Least repeatable accuracy to Most repeatable accuracy: 

1. FAL

2. G3

3. M14

4. quality AR10

I dont like the AR platform but I have to admit from an accuracy and competition standpoint the AR's are hard to beat. 

The problem comes down to hot barrel behavior.

My FAL's (STG58 types) tend to get hot faster and string up and to the left or right. FAL accuracy can also be affected by which side of the magazine it is stripping the round off of.

My 12" G3K clones typically perform with the same or better accuracy than my 18" FAL's out to 200 yards. They have a thicker and more rigid barrel profile. After 200 its a shotgun blast. The 18" G3's are more accurate and can hit well out to 300 but I prefer a M14 for distances over 200.

If you can find a PTR with AW serial number under maybe 2500 it may have a Wilson barrel, which has closer to a medium profile, and in my experience has the best combination of accuracy and the ability to run surplus ammo. AW2500 to AW8000 were made with a tighter chamber and fewer, shallower flutes which was an attempt to improve accuracy, but also required the use of Tula or American Eagle, and no surplus.

I can typically shoot the M14's out 400 yds with consistent effect. I used a standard weight Criterion 22" barrel or a medium profile 19" Bula barrel. 168 gr FGMM, an adjustible Schuster gas plug and Sadlak tin coated piston are all inexpensive upgrades that can help your accuracy.

Nothing can come close to keeping up with my shooting buddy's LaRue OBR

Sadly Heavy Metal matches are going away in my region so its become irrelevant for me.