Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Slide Glide"...

IGOTGLOCKED

I compete in the concealed carry division of IDPA & GADPA with my carry gun. Consequently my question is should I use Slide Glide  on my carry guns..?

Thx!

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED

I have been a big fan of grease but lately moving towards the school of though that a thinner oil is better on a competition gun.

in a gun that's shot a lot (comps) a thin oil does push out of the gun carrying dirt and carbon with it (so you have to keep re-oiling). grease will stay where it was put but will build up the dirt and carbon in the gun.

a carry gun is a different story as it's carried a lot but presumably shot almost never (apart from practice). so in that case grease like slide guide may be good as it stays put and will be there to lube the gun when needed. 

just make sure you don't use too much (slows the action) and also if you live in a really cold climate use the thinnest one (or perhaps don't use grease if somewhere really cold). 

On 10/6/2016 at 4:22 PM, kmca said:

What do you use now?  Slide Glide is as good as any grease.  In some of my guns, the action is slowed down too much to use grease, so I use oil.

Been using SLP2000EWL. Seems fine but always looking, you know...

4 hours ago, ParaGunner said:

I assume you shoot a Glock. Glock are loose enough to use any slide glide on them with out any drawbacks.

Indeed I do. A 19/4 & a 43/4. I want, better lubrication not an issue should I really need it...

22 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

I have been a big fan of grease but lately moving towards the school of though that a thinner oil is better on a competition gun.

in a gun that's shot a lot (comps) a thin oil does push out of the gun carrying dirt and carbon with it (so you have to keep re-oiling). grease will stay where it was put but will build up the dirt and carbon in the gun.

a carry gun is a different story as it's carried a lot but presumably shot almost never (apart from practice). so in that case grease like slide guide may be good as it stays put and will be there to lube the gun when needed. 

just make sure you don't use too much (slows the action) and also if you live in a really cold climate use the thinnest one (or perhaps don't use grease if somewhere really cold). 

Does Slide Glide dry out and cake up?

On 8 October 2016 at 10:19 AM, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Does Slide Glide dry out and cake up?

Not in my experience. I've used lite and std quite a bit on 1911/2011, cz, tanfog and a few others (not on a glock though). Ive never had it dry and cake up. It is a good product. Maybe buy one of the little tubes to try it out?

On 10/6/2016 at 4:22 PM, kmca said:

What do you use now?  Slide Glide is as good as any grease.  In some of my guns, the action is slowed down too much to use grease, so I use oil.

Using SLP 2000 now. Are you aware of any issues or advantages using Slide Glide on a Glock?

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED

On 10/8/2016 at 10:02 PM, BeerBaron said:

Not in my experience. I've used lite and std quite a bit on 1911/2011, cz, tanfog and a few others (not on a glock though). Ive never had it dry and cake up. It is a good product. Maybe buy one of the little tubes to try it out?

Good advice, thx!

On 10/6/2016 at 8:40 PM, BeerBaron said:

I don't have the financial resources to have carry guns, competition guns, show guns, etc. I have a Glock 19 & a 43. Looking at a 30S next. First and foremost I bought them to carry. I do however also shoot/practice (about 200 +/- rounds /wk) , and compete with them, consequently I can deal with issues in competition however cannot afford to have issues in a SD situation...

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED

I use 34 and 35s for competition only.  Glocks are loose enough that it doesn't matter which grease you use.  I haven't been able to tell the difference between "regular" grease and specialty gun greases, except for the smell :)

I used to use slide glide, and it works decently. Ive since switched to ewl from slip2000. It's surprisingly thin and liquidy, but it lasts longer than the greases ive tried. I also have used mil comm, and it's not very good. EWL> Slide Glide> Mil Comm. A lot of people have a hard on for lucas oil products, so I would imagine it works well. But the ewl stays put for a 9 stage major match in 1 day, with 0 failures. That's good enough for me

Daniel K

25 minutes ago, DKnoch said:

I used to use slide glide, and it works decently. Ive since switched to ewl from slip2000. It's surprisingly thin and liquidy, but it lasts longer than the greases ive tried. I also have used mil comm, and it's not very good. EWL> Slide Glide> Mil Comm. A lot of people have a hard on for lucas oil products, so I would imagine it works well. But the ewl stays put for a 9 stage major match in 1 day, with 0 failures. That's good enough for me

Daniel K

Thank DK!

Ironic as I have been using the slip 2000 since I bought my Glocks and have been very pleased however I also have never used anything else consequently I have no comparative basis... Then I was referred to this forum and keep hearing about Slide Glide. I suspect as many, I always remain open to options if benefits are proven. 

Much appreciated!

IGG

On 10/7/2016 at 7:25 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

If your carry gun is a Glock either drown it in slide glide or use oil or just run it bone dry.

It's going to work.

Yup, Glock it is! And I suspect you are correct, never had an issue with them yet!

Thx!

8 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Motor oil.

Slide glide.

The magic snake oil of the month.

It all feels and runs the same on a loose, reliable Glock. They're not picky - that's what people have been telling you. Don't sweat which product you use.

Yep. Even my open guns run just fine on anything I lube them with. The lube market is indeed just like snake oil back in the day.

The only thing that didn't work was slide glide(even lite) when we shot in the winter below freezing

• 3 weeks later...

I recently started using slide guide on my 1911's in uspsa. Not a single problem. I can't see any risk in running it on a carry gun. Of course you wouldn't find me outside when it's freezing. I don't believe in that :)

Lon one of my guns there was a noticeable feeling of smoothness after greasing it w the slide guide. I've been using tetra grease on all my guns before that (and it's still on my carry guns since I haven't cleaned and relived them recently) and never had an issue. I like grease over oil for staying in place and not attracting as much dust/lint. 

Red