Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yet another failure to load

Sarge

Since the page loads now... One random page, not loading occasionally is not cause for panic. :)

There are SO MANY things that all have to happen in an exact sequence for a single forum page to load. Especially for the home page. If all doesn't happen for one page every now and then... Well, that's the internet. 

Website performance is down after migration. Many interruptions. Not accessible today (9-Oct) for several minutes around 8:30am UTC, IIRC. CloudFront returning errors after a timeout.

I've added Forums to the ServiceCake monitoring service. Let see some graphs in a week.

10-Oct 17:10 - 17:20 UTC forums not accessible for about 5 - 10 minutes, CloudFront returning timeout for any page: index, sub-forum, thread. The service provider could graph webserver access log by minute and see deeps / fluctuations by themselves.

My local time - time on screenshots is GMT+3.

Screenshot from 2016-10-10 20-13-20.png

Screenshot from 2016-10-10 20-15-26.png

Screenshot from 2016-10-10 20-16-11.png

Screenshot from 2016-10-10 20-16-26.png

Screenshot from 2016-10-10 20-18-08.png

Also, CloudFront CDN is not doing one of the main things it suppose to do: caching static assets, e.g. images to offload the server and make user experience better. Multiple times I requested several large and small images uploaded to the forums: like screenshots above and user's profile photos. The low-level technical information that comes with HTTP response indicates that the blobs were not served from CloudFront cache, ie. I see X-Cache: Miss from cloudfront HTTP header. The server must be configured to set Expires HTTP header (for images and versioned resources at least).

I understand, that forums are a free service for us, but, Brian, in case you're paying for the web-hosting service - it's not of a great quality.

screenshot-developers.google.com 2016-10-12 12-11-59.png

IP's reply:

"Hello, specifically this seems as if it's only one user, then one this morning for a minute? 

There are so many routes on the internet, it seems to indicate that there are a couple of users with some routes that have been perhaps having some issues, it would be great to try and catch this while it's happening for those guys so we can ensure it's not on our end though."

13 minutes ago, benos said:

IP's reply:

"Hello, specifically this seems as if it's only one user, then one this morning for a minute? 

There are so many routes on the internet, it seems to indicate that there are a couple of users with some routes that have been perhaps having some issues, it would be great to try and catch this while it's happening for those guys so we can ensure it's not on our end though."

Pretty sure it's more than one?

Im no tech nerd by any stretch of the imagination but basic troubleshooting I can do.

No problems ever logging in to forums.

Forums do major overhaul. 

Now forums run slow at times and totally lock up at others.

Hard to imagine my end getting broken at the exact same time as the overhaul.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Pretty sure it's more than one?

Im no tech nerd by any stretch of the imagination but basic troubleshooting I can do.

No problems ever logging in to forums.

Forums do major overhaul. 

Now forums run slow at times and totally lock up at others.

Hard to imagine my end getting broken at the exact same time as the overhaul.

Exactly.  I had no issues before things changed.  Now its very frequent.  Nothing at all changed on my end.

11 hours ago, arkadi said:

Monitoring service, like StatusCake, confirms outages from multiple location. The response from IP is not professional. Don't they have their own monitoring? :/

From IP: 

"I'm going to put an alert on this ticket to email me with any replies so I can ensure to catch it and do some testing on this end if they are able to let us know when it's happening. Thank you"

On this, "The response from IP is not professional" - That particular tech is the absolute shit. His support is always over-the-top top notch. He's helped me with so many tickets - he is talking to me more like a friend than the tech wizard that he is.

ERROR

The request could not be satisfied.

CloudFront attempted to establish a connection with the origin, but either the attempt failed or the origin closed the connection.

Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
Request ID: EISNYGs5rNGPuYjVmEb1JLH9W9V9SaYV_3OnszHHnGLccQa1PlkTSw==

8:25 am MDT

• 2 weeks later...