Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yet another failure to load

Sarge

From IP last night:

Hi Brian, your site was the killing it resource wise, I have personally spent much time on it trying to ensure it's in great shape and everything is in order, however it seems your users may perhaps use it like a chat room and not a forum, as it's very very heavy on resources, it had to be disabled today for exceeding resource limits as well. 

ME:

Specifically, how, or in what way could it be used more like a chat room? (I don't really know what that means.)

I feel like the guys are just reading or typing questions like would be done on any forums. When I check peak traffic in the afternoons, there is typically around 150 - 180 members online, occasionally up to around 200, but never any where near the 330 "resource limit."
What about if I moved up to the next level of "resource limit"?

IP today:

Hi Brian, I have brought your site back online now, we can discuss this further tomorrow and find a solution, I appreciate you wanting to stay here, and I want you too as well, I have increased resources again and we will review this further in the next day or so and see what changed will need to be made etc, thank you for your understanding. 

One of our members asked me to ask IP:

Do multiple sessions take up resources. If I log onto the Forums on 3 different devices do I use 3x the amount of resources? If so, that might account for some the over use.

Can you put a session time out on a particular session id? If I leave the Forums open at home and go to the office, the timeout would shut down that session.

IP's reply:

Yes, 3 connections would be 3 times the resource use, if all 3 connections are actually being used.

But we unfortunately cannot put a timeout on a particular session ID. Those timeouts are directly based on, and handled by, PHP now.

So, PLEASE LOG OUT OF A SESSION IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON LOGGING IN TO ANOTHER SESSION.

Thank you,

Brian 

So if I understand this correctly, we should physically sign off, right? 

And if I close the tab without  signing off, I'm still using resources?

How about when I close the browser or power down the device?

I've been on the forum for years and due my lack of knowledge  of these things, I may have been part of the problem.

Sorry.

1 hour ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I've been on the forum for years and due my lack of knowledge  of these things, I may have been part of the problem.

Sorry.

I stay logged on 24/7 if it lets me. 

15 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Sorry.

I'll get back to you with more details from IP on this one.

From IP:

Signing off is a good idea in any case for security, yes.

However, if you just close the tab, very few (if any) resources are used. That's also true if you power down, it's the same thing really.