Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RTS 2 scope ?

cecil

49 minutes ago, teros135 said:

I understand from CMore that Chris Tilly won Open Nationals and Max Michel won CO Nationals with the RTS2 v4.  It seems to be working fine now.

Interesting that sig comes out with the p320 Rx and he switched the optic. Surprised they didn't put a Romeo 3 on it at least instead of the rts2.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Problems with the RTS2 seemed to be resolved, but I think a traditional slideride or railway would be a better sight for a Carbine. Field of view and larger glass will help you with speed. I went with an AImpoint comp m4 compared to smaller T1  because larger field of view. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2016 at 0:14 PM, theWacoKid said:

Given that when fully operational the RTS2 is much better to shoot than the traditional slideride the only downside so far is reliability.  The downside to the DPP, imo, is the amount of bulk in your view, just not as clean and minimalistic as the RTS2.  You gotta make your own call unfortunately.

Why is the RTS2 superior to the standard Slide Ride?

Reliability?  RTS2 v4 is as reliable as anything out there.  

Advantages include the lower sight height and the short body, which reduces (or prevents) hits by ejected brass in 9 major (also 38sc, which is a problem for some).  Also, battery life is vastly longer than the slideride.  

14 hours ago, teros135 said:

Also, battery life is vastly longer than the slideride.  

Thanks for the input. Battery life actually had me concerned as with the slide ride, you always have it off until you are ready to shoot. With the RTS2 the cap is the off switch. Do you remove the cap at the start of a match or take it off just when you are ready to shoot? I think most would take it right off and put it in their shooting bag so that it won't get lost, and leave it open throughout the match, leaving the power on. 

Edited by abb1

32 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

Wish/hope any claim of reliability can be accompanied with number of rounds and caliber if major or minor loads shot with the sight in consideration. Anything less can be misleading. 

Around 4k major rds so far, practice and matches.  

Edited by teros135

1 hour ago, abb1 said:

Thanks for the input. Battery life actually had me concerned as with the slide ride, you always have it off until you are ready to shoot. With the RTS2 the cap is the off switch. Do you remove the cap at the start of a match or take it off just when you are ready to shoot? I think most would take it right off and put it in their shooting bag so that it won't get lost, and leave it open throughout the match, leaving the power on. 

No, the cap is simply a cover, to protect the lens.  You turn it on or off by holding either of the intensity buttons in for 3 seconds.

You can leave it on for the whole day, or turn it off between stages.

5 hours ago, teros135 said:

No, the cap is simply a cover, to protect the lens.  You turn it on or off by holding either of the intensity buttons in for 3 seconds.

You can leave it on for the whole day, or turn it off between stages.

actually mine (and the other 5 or so I've played with). all turn on with just the slightest touch of either up or down button (and they come on very fast). but it is 3 seconds hold to turn off. it also does auto shut off after 8(I think?) hours.  

1 hour ago, theWacoKid said:

Size, bulk, and balance. 

Battery life was never an issue with slide rides for me but the RTS2 has been fine on batteries too. 

And for those of us running 9's, we can do away with the 90 degree mounted slideride. I just don't like the looks of that set up. The RTS2 looks sleek and fast!

The bulk of the 90 cmore was never an issue for me vision wise (never noticed it while shooting, all my sliderides are grey which may help). I liked the low to the bore dot and I liked the totally clear ejection port. I also loved the big glass and the ability to change dots (I have 6s, 8s and 12s)  

What ultimately made me want to change to rts2 was:

zero adjustment- the slideride adjusts zero by putting pressure on the plastics frame that holds the glass. This is vague at best. It also means changing windage effects your elevation setting. Not cool. It's also prone to zero drift from time to time. The rts2 has proper adjustment in 1moa clicks (1/4 inch at 25yards) and moves the dot module NOT the glass.

Batteries - cmore batteries are not available everywhere and are a bit expensive. Rts2 batteries are cheap and easy to find. 

space for weak hand thumb - this was a big one. I have found with a high 'thumbs forward' grip my wh thumb was getting crowded under the leg of the 90 mount. It was even worse with a thumb rest on there. I now have a permanent split on my wh thumb nail from it getting split by being up against that leg. It now grows pre-split! D'oh!

weight - the slideride is 3x the weight of the rts2 and its up high on the gun. 

Looks - the 90 cmore makes it look like you have some kind of fruity ray gun toy. The rts2 is much sleeker and smaller. 

Racker - I needed a giant racker to clear my 90 cmore. It was great for table starts but otherwise was ungainly.  I have a nice short brazos zigracker now  

So so far the only real downsides I've found are:

non replaceable dot - it comes in 3,6 and 8 moa. Pick one (mine are 8's). 

Slightly smaller glass - not really an issue I've noticed. I have noticed the rts2 glass is a bit harder to clean right to the edges as the shroud makes it hard to get your finger right to the edge. 

Cost - it's twice the price of a slideride. 

Overall its a positive move. The improvements outweigh the few negatives. I'm loving having all that real estate on the left of the gun again. The brightness on my 8moa rts2 has plenty of range even in direct sunlight.