Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First Reload Question

holmes168

I am going to do my first batch of reloads, but want to confirm my supplies as being good to go with some forum members.  Yes- i have a reloading book, but would welcome comments on just the supply quality.........  While I do like books- nothing is better than getting input from real people.

Rounds are 9mm and will be reloaded on Dillon 550B.

Powder- Winchester 231

Primer- CCI Small Pistol

Bullets- Winchester 124gr FMJ

Again- this is mainly to confirm supplies and what people's opinion of their quality.

Thanks for helping.

I think you'll find those bullets represent a poor value (vs coated or jacketed bullets sold by firms that cater to reloaders) but looks like a good start.

The bullets probably cost $.12 - $.14 each, vs less than $.07 for coated or about $.09 vs Precision Delta JHPs.

1 hour ago, peterthefish said:

I think you'll find those bullets represent a poor value (vs coated or jacketed bullets sold by firms that cater to reloaders) but looks like a good start.

The bullets probably cost $.12 - $.14 each, vs less than $.07 for coated or about $.09 vs Precision Delta JHPs.

What bullet would you recommend?  My main concern for my first attempt is definitely safety which seems like I am good on.  I've just started researching on this forum and am sure I will find plenty of good information.

Dozens of casters are going with HiTek coated bullets now, so you have plenty of choices. They represent a very good value compared to jacketed or plated, and hardly cost more than moly coated lead or cast lead. By the way, HiTek coated anything does not lead at all. I've run them to over 1,500 fps in my G31. What reloading press are you using? That's more important than choice of consumables, I mean CCI's are good, Federals are good, WW is good, etc, same as W231, TiteGroup, WSF, etc. WW brass, Federal brass, etc. So if you are running a progressive the best way to start is find a local USPSA hoser who has the same press and have him help get you going. Hands on experience  is better than books or opinions. Then don't mess with anything. New reloaders get the worry on about the variance in OAL and charge weight. Nothing to be concerned with. OAL on progressives vary about +/- .002" and charge weight will vary about +/- .1 grains, even with a sugar powder. Start with the load data on the website. And remember crimp is not crimp, it's just a de-belling step...

Edited by 9x45

I've used RMR and Acme bullets. Both are good companies and have fast shipping.

I load Acme now for shooting matches because with the Enos discount you can get bullets for about .06 a piece.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Yikes those bullets are expensive!  I use Precision Delta JHPs myself, and HP-38 instead of W231 (I've always heard it's the exact same powder, different label).

With CCI primers, you might have the issue of primer drawback with Dillon dies. PITA, but the solution to it is talked about quite often on the forum.

On 10/7/2016 at 7:18 PM, acoop101 said:

Xtreme bullets offer good value for plated bullets. I can load 1000 Rds. For 60 bucks using the brass credit program.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

What's the math on that?