Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load to simmulate hot NATO or +P SD rounds?

tenchu74

I'm looking for a load to simulate 124grain NATO FMJ or +P self defense rounds like Speer Gold Dots or Hornady XTP.  I will be shooting these out of both pistols and carbines.

I really need some suggestions on what powder is good for obtaining both velocity and accuracy with 124 grainers for this type of load.  Thanks.

You asked to duplicate NATO loads. Powerpistol was used for Nato loading in 9mm. Yes it is loud and does have muzzle flash but it delivers accuracy and velocity at reasonable pressure. However if I had to load rounds to fire with a less than perfect grip on my Glocks, I would choose Powerpistol because I know it work cycle the action in the most adverse circumstances.

My  first choice would be Ramshot Silhouette. Low flash, great performance specs for NATO spec loads, meters very well. 

124 gr. Speer Gold Dot over 6.1 gr. BE-86 at 1.125 averages 1221 fps out of my Walther PPQ.  This load is .2 grains over Alliant's max for 124 gr. JHP.  No signs of pressure with my firearm.  5.7 gr. reached 1167 fps and the book max load of 5.9 was 1192 fps.

1 hour ago, Tokarev said:

Looking for similar info but using a 147gr bullet. Does anyone have a suggested load to get 1,100ish FPS? I have Ramshot Silhouette and Winchester Auto Comp onhand.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Mixed brass

S&B primer

147gr HST

5.2gr Silhouette

Got a 1028fps average with that combination.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 7:17 PM, v1911 said:

Mixed brass

S&B primer

147gr HST

5.2gr Silhouette

Got a 1028fps average with that combination.

Used 5.2gr of Silhouette with Speer nickeled brass and the new Berry's 147gr HHP bullet.  Chrono'ed from 10 feet in a Ruger SR1911 Commander and a SIG P320. 

991.3 AVG from the Ruger and 979.0 AVG from the SIG.  Extreme spreads in the mid-20's. 

Out of my 5" schuemann barrel I experienced a 1.5 SD. 

Aha! The 5" barrel would explain your higher MV's.

Just for curiosity I'm going to get a can of 3N38 to see if I can crank these 147's up near 1,100 fps or beyond as the VV data claims.

Just out of curiosity I loaded five rounds with 6.8gr of Blue Dot with an OAL of 1.145.

Average of five over the chrono was 1,113. High of 1,140 low of 1,092.

This was from a Beretta 92 so I couldn't really get a feel for the primers. But the cases weren't bulged out around the feed ramp or anything.

Interestingly, the Alliant website says max with a 147gr Gold Dot is 5.8gr while the Lyman manual shows 6.6gr max with a 147 JHP.