Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I shot my first open gun

DASR4

I just got my first open gun this week. Put a few hundred rounds through already and eagerly waiting to shoot my first match with it on Sunday. It's awesome! I'm coming from single Stack and production, so the fact that I can shoot some stages without reload and all with at most 1 is blowing my mind haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, SpaceMan said:

Ive been tossing around the idea, but I have a few guns that are ahead of it on the list.

:ph34r:    There is NOTHING Ahead of an OPEN gun ...    :wub:

(Didn't think I'd EVER get to use That emoticon).

Once I bought my Open Gun, there was No Other Gun --- too much FUN.    :bow:

Same thing happened to me.  I built a open Glock and shot minor with it for a year and it just wasn't cutting it.  This CK Arms arrived from Shooters Connection last week, shot it today for the first time and love it.

ckarms.JPG

Edited by AKJD

Yea I've been warned about open.  Basically don't try it until you want to go there for sure.  I thought limited was a big step... open is a whole other adventure as far as equipment and loading.

19 hours ago, Blammo said:

Why no DVC?

IMO for the money, you are better off getting a CK (or used custom). Already has a lot of what you are going to 'fix' on the DVC (trigger parts, mag well, etc), and has a better fit/finish. Also, the CK will run from the factory, the STI might take some massaging to get there. Several threads regarding the DVC open guns on here if you search. My biggest concern includes slides cracking between the front lightening port and the comp w/ sti refusing to fix under warranty. To each his own though, some people got great running DVC open pistols and haven't had problems as of yet. 

Edited by MHitchcock

30 minutes ago, MHitchcock said:

IMO for the money, you are better off getting a CK (or used custom). Already has a lot of what you are going to 'fix' on the DVC (trigger parts, mag well, etc), and has a better fit/finish. Also, the CK will run from the factory, the STI might take some massaging to get there. Several threads regarding the DVC open guns on here if you search. My biggest concern includes slides cracking between the front lightening port and the comp w/ sti refusing to fix under warranty. To each his own though, some people got great running DVC open pistols and haven't had problems as of yet. 

I have seen several crack and sti has replaced the slide and in one case replaced the entire gun. Their quality control might be lacking a bit but they seem to stand behind it. 

I seem to recall one case more recently where they were told it wouldn't be covered. My memory may be playing tricks on me and I apologize if that's the case. I'll see if I can find it. . .

In any event, their turn around time for fixing that is months...so even if they stand behind it, why would you spend that kind of money knowing there is a good chance that slide crack will happen? Then you get to be without your expensive open pistol for months. And if what they send back is the same cut, you run the same chance of having it happen again. 

If it was my $$$, that has to be a consideration in purchase. Hence my suggestion to get a CK or a used custom pistol.