Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More powder= more recoil?

Edge40

So heres the question.  Lets say I'm loading 2 different bullet heads that are the same weight to the same length.  The difference is one is coated and one is plated.  The coated head lets say takes 4.2 grains to make 170 PF and the plated head takes 4.8 to make 170 PF.  Would the recoil be the same?  I should add that this would be in a limited gun so no comp.

Edited by Edge40

technically, no they wouldnt have the same recoil. in internal ballistics its called ejecta, that is in short  the bullets weight, powder weight, anything that moves once the primer ignites. so technically the heavier weight charge would have a higher recoil. no i doubt you could feel the difference, more likely you would percieve a difference in recoil do the burn rate of the powders.

The one with the heavier powder charge would give more recoil.  Whether it would be enough for you to feel the difference may or may not be the case.

As an example, assuming a 180gr bullet and a 3 pound gun, the 4.3gr load would give 3.7 ft-lbs of recoil energy and the 4.8gr load would give 3.8 ft-lbs.

The bullet alone would give you 3.1 ft-lbs, so the remainder is the powder.

Guy

Aside from the fact that the heavier charge will have slightly more recoil as noted above, the gas will also most likely be at higher pressure when the bullet leaves the barrel for the heavier charge. This means more muzzle blast which can also be perceived by the shooter.

I'd be surprised if the difference between the two loads was not noticeable while working up loads, but in a match you'd probably never notice the difference.

Sounds like you're asking about Blue Bullets vs Xtreme Plated.  

At least that is my experience with .40 180gr RN & .45 SWC's. I dropped TITEGROUP by roughly .4gr when switching to Blue Bullets and maintained the same PF. 

No. The Xtreme Plated bullets had more felt recoil in my opinion.