Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2017 Vortex Shooters Source 3 Gun Championship

Registration is open for the 2017 match!
Early registration fee until October 15: $250
Regular fee after October 15: $295
Go sign up now!

We will be donating a portion of the proceeds from match fees to the We Defy Foundation. They help injured soldiers rehabilitate through different ways.

We plan on having side stages near every stage this year and ALL the money collected will also go to We Defy.

Here's a short video that "Trigger Monkey" put together for us!

https://practiscore.com/2017-vortex-presents-shoot…/register

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great match this year. Had tons of fun. I am concerned that it got moved to the spring time along with the 3GN regional match and the Texas State championship all being just weeks apart. I know it was hot this year but the great thing about the Vortex being in the middle of the summer was the fact it was in the middle of the summer. Great for your shooting calendar.

• 3 weeks later...

Is coaching going to be allowed again in 2017? I am interested, but would prefer to compete against individual shooters. If it were me, I might go with coaching is allowed for juniors, or something like that.

9 hours ago, Uber said:

Is coaching going to be allowed again in 2017? I am interested, but would prefer to compete against individual shooters. If it were me, I might go with coaching is allowed for juniors, or something like that.

coaching does not speed up the shooter.  John Paul Gangl pointed this out in his "resurgence" video.  The shooter pays the penalty by having to back up and engage the target.  also having someone pick up dropped ammo or as in the case of one shooter last year whose AR died, the "coach" ran all the way back to the gun rack and brought him another so he could finish the stage.  He certainly did not benefit time wise as this whole analysis, decision and retrieval took way over a minute.

I disagree. If you had someone coaching you that you worked well with, there could be an advantage. Simply reminding you ahead of time about an easy target to forget, ranges on long targets as you transitioned, etc. If you run past a target or two, and they are good at their job, taking two steps back to avoid a 10-30 second penalty is the difference in 20 places at some matches. 

11 hours ago, Uber said:

Yes, coaching is allowed for everyone.

I understand it may not be for everyone, but it's the way we do it. 

Edited by JeremyM

34 minutes ago, JeremyM said:

Yes, coaching is allowed for everyone.

I understand it may not be for everyone, but it's the way we do it. 

At the first 5  Rocky Mountain 3 gun matches, the RO's would not let you run past a target.  Kinda nice.:D

I thought it added a whole new level of fun to the match.

Of course I think our squad was probably taking advantage of the opportunity and utilizing it more like 80% heckling to 20% coaching ratio.

Edited by New4John

Not a fan of coaching either (for adults), but their match / their rules so I'll abide.  Great group of folks running and supporting this match - haven't had an opportunity to shoot with this crew in about a year but look forward to seeing everyone again.          

40 minutes ago, The Donald said:

What towns are close by for motel rooms?

Weatherford. Specifically the intersection of I-20 and 171. Lots of hotels and restaurants. 

Botht Best Western and Candlewood Suites are $79.95/night when you use the code Triple C over the phone. 

Edited by JeremyM

20 hours ago, JeremyM said:

Weatherford. Specifically the intersection of I-20 and 171. Lots of hotels and restaurants. 

Botht Best Western and Candlewood Suites are $79.95/night when you use the code Triple C over the phone. 

Thanks

• 3 months later...