Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 coated bullets opinions

rustybayonet

I'm a fan of truncated cone bullets in 45 for everything other than bullseye.  I have shot 230gr TCs for plates and pins and found it offers no advantage over 200gr bullets.  The only exception might be wood shoots where you have to cut a 6x6 in half by shooting it.  Usually it's a 4x4 or a 2x4 and 200s do that plenty well.

I stick with 200gr LTC bullets for a couple of reasons.  First, I can use my bullseye load whenever I don't need Major.  Second, the recoil, and more importantly the muzzle rise, is less than with the 230, so I'm back on target faster.  When I run out of lead bullets I'll be switching to poly coated.

I use both, round nose and the truncated nose, and to be honest I see no difference in the two. I would have thought muzzle rise is less with the 230 grain bullets than with the 200 grain, that is what I find in my pistol. 200's have a faster impulse, but not enough to worry about as far as my old mitts can discern.

I also use Blue Bullets, and I can assure you there are huge differences in the quality of certain brands. I will not denigrate any maker here, but I have tried 4 different companies and you really want to try a sample pack from each one to see what loads correctly, measures properly, and loads OK in your particular press.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:50 AM, mont1120 said:

I use both, round nose and the truncated nose, and to be honest I see no difference in the two. I would have thought muzzle rise is less with the 230 grain bullets than with the 200 grain, that is what I find in my pistol. 200's have a faster impulse, but not enough to worry about as far as my old mitts can discern.

I also use Blue Bullets, and I can assure you there are huge differences in the quality of certain brands. I will not denigrate any maker here, but I have tried 4 different companies and you really want to try a sample pack from each one to see what loads correctly, measures properly, and loads OK in your particular press.

+1 Blue Bullets loads perfect for me. I've tried some samples from other people who use the hitek coating and I was less than impressed. I was able to scrape the coating off with a finger nail. I can't do that with the BB coating. Maybe the samples I got weren't clean or prepared properly, don't know.

200 SWC.  They run great in my guns.  Plus they make a really nice hole in the target haha.  There is also a bunch of guys at my range that use them with excellent results.  Ibeji heads if it matters.

All I have shot for about 35 years have been lead SWCs. Shot them in Bullseye, PPC, IPSC, bowling pins, and falling plates.

TC is fine, but a good H&G #68 clone is just a bit more accurate and has always fed perfectly in all my .45s.

If one worries about feeding, then one falls back to RN. The FP just seems to be a fine bullet that is really a compromise between the RN and SWC.