Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting back into open, starting from scratch (sort of)

user293

so I started shooting open in USPSA in 2010 or so and shot in the Metro MN area for about a year and then moved. I kept my gun (38 super comp) and gear for a while but i was too far away to shoot in the metro, and the local club was too small for my liking so i sold my gun and mags. now im back to the metro area and want to shoot open again. the idea is to start next year. now i need a gun. things have changed in the 5 years ive been out. I want 9 major this time around. I dislike the cost of super comp brass and having to pick it up. i wanna focus on shooting and the stages, not picking up brass. I like the idea of a full size 2011, with holes in the barrel. ( 38 super was a hybrid and i loved it). i want to try out the PT evo steel grip. 90 degree c more. i figure my options are to wait on here for a used gun as nationals are coming up and people may upgrade for next year. another option is to choose one of the many builders, and have the build done over winter. my budget is somewhere between 3 and 4 grand. that limits me a bit. Ive been looking at CK, Bobby with FGW, Glenn at Lone Star Innovations, maybe Blackdog Gunworks. am i missing anyone? just looking into some input, or discussion from some of these builders or any ideas for an open gun. 

I have a CK Limited gun and a Blackdog open gun.  Both are well built but seeing some of the stuff Adam at Atlas Gumworks is turning out I'd place them at the top of the list.  It will be at or above the top of your $$ range though..

5 minutes ago, NoSteel said:

I have a CK Limited gun and a Blackdog open gun.  Both are well built but seeing some of the stuff Adam at Atlas Gumworks is turning out I'd place them at the top of the list.  It will be at or above the top of your $$ range though..

ive thoght  about them actually and have looked at the stuff from Atlas alot lately and it looks really good. the price point is keeping me away right now unfortunately.  

another option is to choose one of the many builders, and have the build done over winter.

Most builders have a backlog of nearly a year, possibly more. Either something used or "in stock" will be your best bet for little to no wait. 

Other than that, I can't offer any advice. Good luck in your search!

3 minutes ago, NoSteel said:

Note that there are a pair of new STI DVC's in the classifieds right now at a very good price that would still leave you with enough $$ room to fit the grip you want....

Im not too interested in the off the shelf stuff from sti. ive read alot on here about headaches with the DVC's. some people have issues some dont. thats another topic for another time maybe. plus i like having options and talking with a builder about them. 

1 minute ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I bought two 9mm Major STI TruBor's - one from Brazos.

Love them.    :bow:

No problems - they just run (until I need to change the springs).

You can save a LOT of money by buying  a  TruBor - super gun.    ;)

ive seen you've had good stuff going on with the trubors. I almost did buy one 5 years ago. Im just kinda particular on what i want in/on an open gun. although the trubor is a good looking gun, its not quite what im looking for. 

Hello: If you want a new custom gun you are going to pay for it. Prices have gone up in 6 years and so has demand on builders. Custom open guns start at $4K and go up from there. Your best bet would be a used gun that runs. After nationals there should be some for sale here. If you like a certain builders style then I would either ask for any that are for sale or put your name on there list. If you have a beer budget then look at stock STI pistols. Good value and you can have them modified as you go. Thanks, Eric

26 minutes ago, scooterj said:

CK Arms open guns are available in a couple different styles, two sight options, and a few color options with no wait from a few different dealers. 

If I can't find anything on the classifieds this may be my path. Kinda wish they had a 9mm 90 degree mount steel grip. All of their 9mm have 3 holes in barrel right?

Yep, the only real option that will fit both your budget and options is a CK arms thunder or hardcore open.

if you order one through SC or SSI or another dealer you can request it with a 90 degree cmore mount as a no cost option.

It's around $3500 for the CK open with cmore and plastic grip. you should be able to reclaim $150 or so selling the plastic grip. Use that towards the steel PT ergo grip and you should have the options you want (popple holes, ergo grip, 90 cmore) for right on $4k. The CK have some other nice features too like a titanium comp, high quality brazos racker retained with ball detents, some nice slide lightening (if you go the thunder) and good quality fire control parts. 

the magwell that comes with your CK will go on to the ergo grip so keep that when you sell the grip.

38 minutes ago, user293 said:

If I can't find anything on the classifieds this may be my path. Kinda wish they had a 9mm 90 degree mount steel grip. All of their 9mm have 3 holes in barrel right?

Yes, 3 holes is standard. Shooters Connection has a few Thunder series with 90degree mounts. The CK Arms steel grip could always be added later and should be a "drop-in" fit. 

Edited by scooterj

Sweet guys thanks for the info. I'm not the best DIY when it comes to these 2011s but I can follow directions and do some atuff. Is the grip removal and replacement pretty easy?

Edited by user293

Just now, user293 said:

Sweet man thanks for the info. I'm not the best DIY when it comes to these 2011s but I can follow directions. Is the grip removal and replacement pretty easy?

Yes it is

Ultimately you should be able to strip your gun down to include the grip for a once or twice a year through cleaning

1 minute ago, user293 said:

Sweet guys thanks for the info. I'm not the best DIY when it comes to these 2011s but I can follow directions. Is the grip removal and replacement pretty easy?

The CK Arms grip should be a drop-in part and comes with mag well, mainspring housing, and mag release. If you opt for a different brand of grip, fitting will, more than likely, be needed. 

Switching gears to magazines, I think I got this down but wanna check. I like the idea of old style SV mags and the no spacers with 9mm. I found two 170s at a good price off the classifieds a little while back. I'd like to get two or so 140s. What internal setup is ideal? The ones I have are bolen (tti) basepads and guts. Is this the way to go for SV old style? And what setup should I use if I can't find old style 140s? I'm guessing STI with grams or Dawson basepad with grams 9mm follower/springs. Correct me if I'm missing anything. Thanks

Edited by user293

16 minutes ago, scooterj said:

The CK Arms grip should be a drop-in part and comes with mag well, mainspring housing, and mag release. If you opt for a different brand of grip, fitting will, more than likely, be needed. 

The CK steel grip looks good but I'm into an aggressive grip. SV is too expensive so I'm leaning toward the new PT ergo grip. The CK is middle of the road as far as aggressiveness from what I've read. 

Just now, user293 said:

The CK steel grip looks good but I'm into an aggressive grip. SV is too expensive so I'm leaning toward the new PT ergo grip. The CK is middle of the road as far as aggressiveness from what I've read. 

I wouldn't dismiss the texture of the CK until you put one in your hand. It offers a surprising amount of traction. 

And as far as mags go.......http://mbxextreme.com/

2nd on mbx mags. Several open shooters run them locally (including me). They just run.

Also can't go wrong with a CK if you don't want to wait on a build. Have a ck hardcore open with an Rts2 I found lightly used. Not a single malfunction yet, extremely well fit. 

There are 3 atlas open guns in my local group here. If I had a bigger budget I would definitely have Adam build me one. The CK is great and it will be a long time (possibly forever) before I'm held back by my CK, but the Atlas builds definitely are flatter shooting (much less dot movement).

Atlas has been great.  His open guns shoot amazing and his customer service is 2nd to none.  I currently have two open guns from him and both run like sewing machines.  100% reliable running mbx magazines.  I wanted a few things changed on one of the guns so he is currently working on my 3rd and I can't wait until it's finished.

Look me up if you decide to up your budget a bit to get into a full custom. 

16 hours ago, user293 said:

Shooters Connection has a CK with steel grip and upright C-More listed on gunbroker.  You could request the 90 degree and at the worst you buy the mount separate for $60 or something.  New gun, everything you want, just in your price range, ready to ship.  I mean, problem solved, right?