Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BUG ?

Dirtchevy841

We don't even know what that means in Tucson. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off topic, but I once took my daughter to the Chaco Canyon observatory. We somehow hit the one night of the year when viewing was closed due to thunderstorms[emoji12]

• 3 weeks later...

Well, so much for my M&P compact in BUG.  It is over the new weight limit by about 2 ounces.  

Oddly, I can now shoot an M&P fullsize (4.25 barrel) in CCP since it meets all those qualifications, and even throw a 9mm barrel in my .40 and be legal i think. It is close on the width with the medium grip insert but would probably still fit even with that.  

Does anyone see a reason why you couldn't shoot a fullsize M&P in CCP now?

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:22 PM, narwhal said:

Well, so much for my M&P compact in BUG.  It is over the new weight limit by about 2 ounces.  

Oddly, I can now shoot an M&P fullsize (4.25 barrel) in CCP since it meets all those qualifications, and even throw a 9mm barrel in my .40 and be legal i think. It is close on the width with the medium grip insert but would probably still fit even with that.  

Does anyone see a reason why you couldn't shoot a fullsize M&P in CCP now?

Is the M&P too tall?  My XD mod 2 4" is by 1/8 " and now no longer allowed in CCP.  I hadn't even done a match with it yet and they made it illegal .

the M&P compact is definitely legal in CCP stil.  The M&P fullsize I think might be a hair too tall.  I measured a little over 137mm from the bottom of the magazine to the top of the rear sight with digital calipers, which is just 1mm too tall for CCP.  Maybe some kind of super low profile sights could get it into CCP, not sure.  They are both questionable on width with the large sized backstrap but the bastrap material is kind of rubbery/flexible so not sure if you would be able to squeeze it into a box or if you'd just need to use the medium backstrap.

If all the stuff on the web is right, then the sig p320 is not bug legal any more.  It has a 3.6" barrel and the new max is 3.5"

Additionally, the new bug box is  6 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 1 3/8", and the p320 subcompact (from the sig website) is 6.7" x 4.7" x 1.3".

28 minutes ago, Ridenemwild said:

If that's true then I think they made a big mistake. The shield is probably the most common gun that was used in BUG at the matches I've been to.

Exactly what I said in my feedback to HQ, as did many others I'm sure.  Of course, they didn't pay any mind to any feedback it seems.  Unless Bill Wilson can make a buck (ala PCC) it probably won't be fixed.

I think they fudged The Box to admit the Shield.   But what was reported was:  6) BUG size changed slightly (weight) to accommodate the Shield. The current draft would make them not legal which was not the intention.

Edited by Jim Watson

The comm I saw only mentioned a weight adjustment for the Shield and one would assume they'd check the size. In another forum, a poster wrote that he had built the box and it didn't fit. I guess we'll see what the final, real, final rulebook holds.

Real rulebook from IDPA.com says

8.2.19 Semi-Automatic BUG (BUG-S)

F. The firearm with the largest magazine inserted must fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 6 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 1

3/8".

But I see the Shield listed at 4.6" tall, so maybe they didn't really accommodate it. 

The Florida Memo said  "6) BUG size changed slightly (weight) to accommodate the Shield. The current draft would make them not legal which was not the intention."

Still have some work to do on that one.

Edited by Jim Watson

• 2 weeks later...