Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to try revolver - USPSA

kf4zht

I've shot a few USPSA matches, trying different guns. Having fun but not sure of what gun I like. So far it's been Limited and Production. I have always loved shooting revolvers and watching the (few) guys shooting revolver it just seemed like more fun. Plus it seems a little cheaper to try (ignoring the cost of the gun) moon clips are cheaper, brass gets saved and I can easily make a moonclip holster instead of spending $20+ each on mag holders

Right now all I have for revolvers is a 8" 454, a 442 and a taurus tractor gun. While I could argue that one shot of 454 should count for 2 hits of normal calibers it will probably fall on deaf ears (also a common symptom of 454). 

So I am working on some trading right now for a P226 that I hardly ever shoot anymore. Doesn't seem to be many of the "normal" USPSA revolvers around in my area. One guy has a 627 NIB, however he wants over a grand for it, I can get it from a dealer for less. 

I have gotten several offers for other 6 shot revolvers. The most interesting was a GP100 6" that has already been worked by a local smith. While it is only a 6 shot the trigger work takes care of some of the work and it could be turned into a decent hunting gun if I ended up selling it. It would cost around $150 to convert to moonclips, but 

The other option is to wait till the Sig sells and order a 625 or 627. 

If you were starting out what would you do? 

6 minutes ago, GMM50 said:

S&W made a 627 chambered in 38 Super.  Hard to find but you be all the benefits of a short straight walled cartridge.

Yes they did and like a dumb,, well you know,,I sold mine..

If you'd seriously like to take a run at Revolver division I'd suggest waiting until you've got the funds to bankroll one of the models alec has recommended. The good news is that both models are dropping in price at dealers I've checked out online. Moonclips won't be cheap when ordering up brass specific units, but the performance will be worth it. 

For $250-$350 you can get an almost new Ruger Security Six. eBay has bunches of speed loaders, loading trays, holsters and belts. ( lots of former PPC shooters selling their stuff). It is "agile and balanced". Consider this option, shoot it a lot. Mine is like silk. It is the reason I bought the new Ruger RedHawk in 45 ACP/LC with a 4.25 inch barrel and Moon Clips. It too is "agile and balanced". Very soft shooting 230 grain 45acp making IPSC major. I've been running a 610 in IPSC for 5 years; it's now a safe queen as are my 586 and 627. My 617 comes with me every trip to the range as my warm up gun, the Redhawk as core practice and the Six as a cool down. For your first revolver for USPSA consider a Ruger Security Six. You will always use it regardless of the growth of your revolver inventory. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you want either a 327/627 ( 38 caliber ) or 929 ( 9mm ) don't bother looking at anything else.

There is a 327 TRR8 for sale in the classifieds here. 

That's not a shameless plug... [emoji4]

But he's right.. 627/929 only way to go..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

To me it all depends on how competitive you want, or can, be. I ran a Carmonized 627 for several years and enjoyed it very much. Unfortunately age (70) and neuropathy of the hands and feet has diminished my ability to be very competitive so now I shoot for the enjoyment. I've settled on my full on 625 PC simply because the bigger pieces are easier to handle. I still beat the occasional 12 year old and criminally insane. Truth is revos are just more fun to run than spray and pray. Ya want a challenge try running Steel Challenge with a 6 shot N frame 45 revolver. As long as you are shooting is the base question to me.  YRMV

Naval Aviator - N Viet Nam

NRA LIFE & ENDOWMENT

An 8-shot revolver simplifies the stage breakdown, but they do require a high degree of accuracy. Many positions require 8 shots, and you don't have 8+1 like single stack. I find I drop extra rounds on the ground more often when shooting the 625.

If you get to a position with 8 steel targets, the 8 shot is only faster if you go one for one. If you miss with the 627, the 625 the other guy is shooting loads faster.

That said, I think most folks will be happiest with an 8 shooter, I shoot mine at all major matches.

The 929 is a great gun,  just be ware that you  will have to have work done on it.  A good trigger job is a must.  Getting the right moon clips will help you a lot.  Don't skimp here.  Hearthco and TKCustom make great moons.   My 929 prefers the .035 moons.    I've also gotten a number from Revolver Supply Co.  These I can load by hand without the need for a tool.

I've gotten good accuracy with Vhita Vhouri N320.  I settled on a load of 3.2 grains with 147  grain Blue Bullets at OAL 1.17.  Accuracy is very good.

I use  a C-more with a 16 minute dot for SCSA matches.  

You can't go wrong with a 627 and 38 Short Colts.  I've had a number of 627s and all have been exceptional.  Apex Tactical did the actions on all but one of mine.  The  last one was Carmonized by the master himself.  Trigger was right around 4 1/2 lbs and 100 per cent reliable.

Get a good holster.   Something that you are confident in and will be secure no matter what activity you have to do.   I like the Blade Tech.  I used a Safariland 002 for a long time with good success.   Now I'm using a Ernie Hill/Guba Reba holster and am very happy.

North Mountain makes what I believe to be the best moon clip holder.  With the 9 mm  I can carry 12 moons on my belt.  Enough for any stage.  The advantage is you don't have to reach around your stomach to find moons.  There are all centered.

Sounds like everyone is fairly unanimous on the 8-9 shot for minor. My only hangup is on the financial side. I've got an almost 2 month old, so while I have some time for reloading and gun work new gun funds arent really happening. I was hoping that a 6 could get me by to get my feet wet, I have offers on a gun I don't shoot for a 6 and some leftover cash for holster and speed loaders.

Ive seen some nice ready to run guns, I just need to decide if I am committed enough to sell something else to give this a try.

Got some thinking time ahead of me...

1. Go with what you can afford.  There is nothing wrong with a good 6 inch.  You will get a lot of reloading practice but you can stay competitive for a long time.
  2. Get some Safariland Comp IIIs .
  3. A Blade Tech holster is very good and won't break the bank.
  4. Good Luck.