Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI .45 mags - How to make 'em run? (Dbl stack)

wgj3

What's the secrets?

Feed lip tuning tips? I notice that some mags have the top corner(s) trimmed off...?

Best spring/follower combos? For 10-11rd 126mm mags? For highest capacity, most reliable 140mm mags?

There just doesn't seem to be as much expertise out there on the .45 mags. Who are the gurus?

Edited by wgj3

Hello: The STI 2011 I built in 45 for IDPA, I used STI mags. I set the feed lips to 0.407"and used Dawson Wedge base pads as well as old STI base pads. For follower I used stock STI and Grams 40 ones. Mine had a Wilson/Nowlin ramp that I rounded the transition a little bit to help feeding. I also made sure all the mags held the rounds at the same angle. I loaded to 1.235" OAL with either a 200grain semi wad cutter or round nose bullets. Pistol ran like a top with either a 12.5lb or 14lb recoil spring. Thanks, Eric

I have a stock STI Eagle in .45 ACP and have just run the factory mags without any issues at all?  The only issues I had was when I found the ammo loaded to fit in a SS mag may be slightly too long for the doublestack mag.  After I figured I needed to load all my .45 ACP ammo to fit the doublestack mags I have had no issues. 

So, maybe stick with factory followers in the short mags and try Grams in the 140's?

I have the Dawson wedges on the the short mags to keep them compliant with "the box".

STI factory springs for the short mags?

Grams for the longer ones? Other suggestions?

Eric, the .407" dimension that you reference, is that for the front of the skinnier portion of the feedlips? All the way or opening to that at the front? Using what tools to adjust the lips without damaging them? I know there is the Dawson kit, but I haven't sprung for it...

Mine are stock. I did have lock back issues with the magazines I bought separately and noticed the followers were different at the right front, a straight corner cut vs rounded. Also filed off a mounding stub at the back. After that they work like the mag that came with the gun.

I will say that one cool thing about the MBX 140mm 45 is that it holds 18, that's right, 18rds of .45 in a 140mm mag. It's a skinny follower. I figure that will likely not happen with the STI tubes, but hoping that I can make 17 run with aftermarket springs and followers.