Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullseye for .40?

Boy

I am sure it will work. I did it in 10mm for a bit when that was all I could find.  This was when. I first started uspsa, I ran some sub major and maybe even major loads.  I remember it being really dirty.  Be careful not to double charge, I never did but I bought a light for my press because it made me nervous.

I bought my first and last pound at the recommendation of an old timer using is for 357 or 38.  

I can't tell you measurably, but in my custom glock 35 the powder is too poppy.  Meaning I get the feeling of high pressure.  Never any case damage nor primer issues.  This is probably my first instance of being a princess with a firearm.

Powder metered well.  SD were low. Runs fine low and slow. Runs fine pushing it a bit.  Regardless of the load it was too poppy.

I have two loads right now that I have been using with bullseye powder ... (in a Para 16-40 pro custom / 5 inch barrel etc) ...

First one (actually makes major) - 4.0gr with 180 blue bullets at 1.15oal - avg 949 / 170pf with 16.51sd

Second one (use for steel and such ... not worked up to major yet) - 4.2gr with 180 extreme or bullet works plated at 1.15oal - avg 881 / 158pf with 21sd

I am planning on working the plated load up to major but looks like it is going to need 5gr of powder to get it there and just haven't gotten back to it yet.  

11 hours ago, woodyblueballs said:

I bought my first and last pound at the recommendation of an old timer using is for 357 or 38.  

I can't tell you measurably, but in my custom glock 35 the powder is too poppy.  Meaning I get the feeling of high pressure. 

That's what I have found as well, and have found no use for the stuff.

I compared Bullseye and Red Dot it in .38 Spec and the Bullseye had a very hash recoil compared to the Red Dot. The Red Dot was much higher velocity with much less felt recoil ,as well as being far more accurate.

I tried Bullseye in .45 and found the same when compared to other powders such as Clays and Red Dot. 

I think Bullseye is popular with the older crowd, as that's what they have always used and have just never compared it with other powders.

YMMV

You didn't say major/minor (unless I missed it) ... I have a minor load too ... my favorite ... kinda soft but reliable ... clean ... legal pf ...  

3.3gr Bullseye - 180 plated (Bullet Works or Xtreme) - 1.15 oal - averages 117 (129pf) with an 11 sd out of my 5" M&P core (13lb recoil spring) ... Goes a little faster out of the 5" Para and I used to use it for steel but one of my friends complained that he could see it flying towards the steel and shamed me into boosting the pf.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...