Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching optics, mounting positions for speed

For shooting at the range I've been using a Sightmark Tactical Red Dot on my Storm, mounted mid-rail.  After shooting my first match with it, I like it for accuracy but not for speed - it's a smaller tube and re-acquiring the dot can be slower with fast movement.

I'm switching it out for the Ultra Shot Plus, which has some interesting choices - 5MOA dot, 3MOA dot with 50 MOA ring, etc. - and mounting it as far to the rear as I can to get the widest field of view and fastest re-acquisition.

I'll find out how well this works over the weekend (not counting sighting it in this week) but I'm interested in others choice of optics for PCC, specifically around rapid acquisition at the typically shorter ranges we're shooting at.

Try mounting the red dot at either the very front of the receiver or very rear of handguard.  Sort of a compromise, far enough back that the window is big, but far enough forward that you should be able too make your shots touch out to 20-25 yards.

Edited by Dannybot
1 hour ago, stango424 said:

I've been having good success with a cmore railway in 6 moa for uspsa matches have shot long and close shots with no issues

I'm just not willing to pay CMore prices for what's essentially a hobby... especially in this division.  My rifle I'll actually depend on for my life?  Sure, but that's not pistol caliber.

Edited by mreed911

I shoot a Vorten Venom on my .22LR pistol for steel challenge, but had the TRD on this rifle since I was mainly shooting 50-100 yards at the range from a bench, so I mounted it near the middle for the best of both worlds, FOV, etc.  Now that I'm run-and-gunning it, the Ultra Shot mounted all the way back seems faster, especially when I have to move and re-shoulder around an obstacle.  I'll know more Saturday after I run it through a match.