Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier question

bret

Why don't the highest percentage classifiers count towards my classification?

If the highest ones counted, I would be at 59.74%, but currently am about 51%, one needs to be paid for before it goes in, but there are others around 57% that don't count but some 45% do.

so if they all went in and one more good classifier I could get into B class.

looks like it is.

2 minutes ago, tyler2you said:

Are the scores you're talking about in your most recent eight?  After your initial classification, the best six of the most recent eight scores are used to calculate your average.

looks like it is.

if they use the best six of the most recent eight, then if I started blowing classifiers I could end up below 40% but they don't move people down.

thanks

6 minutes ago, bret said:

looks like it is.

looks like it is.

if they use the best six of the most recent eight, then if I started blowing classifiers I could end up below 40% but they don't move people down.

thanks

The website will show you your highest percentage achieved as well as your current percentage.  Your current percentage can move down, but your existing classification won't.

If you post your USPSA #, I bet there's an expert here that will explain the situation.

Edited by tyler2you

11 hours ago, uewpew said:

Is your USPSA membership current?  Are some of your higher classifiers in your most recent 8 duplicates?   

yes it is current, no duplicates, wasn't sure why the highest of all classifiers weren't used.

Come on Bret, it's on the second page of the rule book:

"Your percentage is based on your scores as they relate to the high score on file for a particular course of fire. To receive an initial classification, a member needs to have at least four unduplicated scores in the USPSA classification database prior to the monthly reclassification procedure. If there are more than four scores on 
file, the best four scores of the most recent six scores will be used. Scores are sorted according to the match date to determine which scores are the most recent. 
For matches that are Level I Specials, the scores are further sorted by the score percent in descending order. In doing so, the lowest scores from a special will be the first scores to drop out of the most recent scores on file.
After a member has earned a classification, the classification system will look at the best six unduplicated scores of the most recent eight to evaluate the member’s current classification percentage.  No scores that calculate to less than 2 percent are used. Also, to prevent unusually low scores from affecting your classification percentage, scores that are more than 5 percent below your classification bracket (e.g. a score of 34.99% for a C-class competitor) are not used for classification purposes. To guard against the possibility of incorrect stage setup or typographical error, scores that 
are more than 15 percent above your current classification bracket are evaluated at the time of entry to see if such a score would adversely affect your classification. In general, those scores are entered, but occasionally a score is so out of the ordinary it is not used and flagged with an A. So members can keep track of their scores, all scores received are entered into the 
database, but may be given a “flag” to indicate its status. The possible flags are:
A —A score that is more than 15% above the member’s current classification 
bracket.
B — A score that is more than 5% below the member’s current classification 
bracket.
C — A score that is more than one class below the highest class in any 
division attained by the member. e.g. A member has a Master class in 
Open division and a B class score in Limited is submitted. This score 
will be flagged with C and not used.
D — Duplicate course - a higher score for this course already exists in the most recent six or eight scores.
E — A score that is not in the most recent six or eight scores.
F — A score that is one of the two lowest scores in the most recent six or 
eight scores.
Y — A score that has been used as part of the classification percentage 
calculation."

One critical thing in the algorithm not well known is if a score ever been marked as Y or F, it will never be B even it is way lower than your claasification bracket.

This happens a lot to folks who just got their initial classifications, because they may obtain B or A or even M as their initial claasification, but there still may be 20% score counted in the most recent 8, when you thought that should be B. It's not B because that 20% was marked as Y or F when calculating your initial classification.

I call this the "hole" that each newly classified shooter needs climb out of over times :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, bret said:

yes it is current, no duplicates, wasn't sure why the highest of all classifiers weren't used.

Well..the new system seems to be working for me...but then again i haven't done any classifiers since August. 

Posting a screenshot of your classifier scores would help diagnose the potential problem.  

Classifier.jpg