Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chamfered My First Ti Cylinder Today

Alaskan454

After reading through some of the older posts I gave it a try with the Brownell's TiN tool.  It took me a while since I hadn't cut a Ti cylinder before, holy crap are they hard!  I ended up using mostly the 45 degree tool and only breaking the remaining hard edges on the extractor and charge holes with some rubberized abrasive.  I can't physically get a loaded moonclip to hang up now.  Before it was 90% likely to get stuck on something and now they can be loaded from any angle.  I originally thought they were getting snagged on the outside of the holes but after putting a hefty chamfer on each it turns out the hard edge underneath the extractor was causing a lot of the issues.  Anyway here's how it looks now, I think it turned out well.

0927161024_zpskm3ucfnf.jpg 

It's an off brand set of Craytex style Dremel attachments.  Just like these: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Rotary-Assorted-Rubber-Accessory/dp/B0078S63NA/ref=pd_sim_201_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KJMDZZHA9QK707D58GSH

I found the Ti needed firm and consistent pressure to start cutting with the chamfer tool, much more than stainless steel would require.  The rubberized bits hardly remove any metal from the cylinder, just enough to break the edge and smooth out any machine marks. 

Gregg's suggestion would greatly speed up the process if you are comfortable freehanding it.  I hadn't worked with the material before so I went slowly while learning the process.  If I did another I might use a grinding stone to rough it out and clean up with the tool.  Also, the extractor required a lot less than I expected so use a loaded clip to check your work from time to time.

It's generally the case mouth that hangs up on the chamber edge. Your chamfer needs to be just a little larger than the case is thick. The excessively large chamfers we occasionally see posted here are not necessary. As 454 notes above, there is a benefit to breaking the square corners underneath the extractor with a cratex point.

I used a steel countersink to chamfer a buddies 929 on my mill, the tool is not the same as it was.

Titanium requires a bit more force to get the tool to cut. A few years back I refinished a titanium suppressor that had been shot off and landed in gravel. I had to file a couple dings out of the body of the can prior to paint. The titanium filed normally once the file started cutting, but it took more force to get it started and it felt "gummy".

19 hours ago, PatJones said:

It's generally the case mouth that hangs up on the chamber edge. Your chamfer needs to be just a little larger than the case is thick. The excessively large chamfers we occasionally see posted here are not necessary. 

Absolutely true, Pat.

• 3 years later...
On 9/27/2016 at 7:42 AM, Alaskan454 said:

I originally thought they were getting snagged on the outside of the holes but after putting a hefty chamfer on each it turns out the hard edge underneath the extractor was causing a lot of the issues.

When my gunsmith did mine I asked him, "where's the chamfer". He said, under the extractor, where it needs to be :)