Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SC - Production

bigtimelarry

1 hour ago, jkrispies said:

I don't know how the current rule reads since the preUSPSA days, but unless it's changed sincd then the chrono rule already exists. Mike Dalton's rule has always been that you can shoot what you want (magnums excluded) as long as the round is traveling faster than 750fps so that the projectile disintegrates upon impact rather than ricocheting back to the shooter.  I don't think anybody chronos because that standard is so low, but it does exist.  

Current rulebook has no reference to power factor in D.2 of the rulebook - must have been dropped in latest revision, as scoring moved to sound-actuation on last shot fired.

Here's the 2011 SC Rule...references power factor in the context of an impact-actuated stop plate

D.2 Impact-Actuated Timing: “Impact-actuated” timing uses stop
plates with an electrical switch wired to the timer to capture elapsed
time.
D.2.1 Whenever impact-actuated timing is used, each stage must
also have a backup timer, gang-wired to begin on the same
start signal.
D.2.2 Stop plates will be tested for a 120 power-factor. Should the
wired timer become faulty, the sound timer will be used to
determine the competitor’s score and the score sheet will be
marked for that string with an S for sound.

And then in the 2008 Steel Challenge match book...reference to the power factor is for impact-actuated stop plate

AMMUNITION
There will be no multiple projectile or magnum loads allowed. All rounds must travel a
minimum of 750 FPS.
POWER FACTOR
Note: Stop plates will be tested for a 120 power factor. An ultra light load or edger may
not stop the timer. However, each stage will have a backup sound timer, which will be
used each time there is not an impact stoppage. The back up timer is gang wired and
begins on the same initial start signal. A set "factor" for bullet travel time to the stop
plate, will be added to the sound timer to approximate the same time, which is based on
a 800 FPS bullet speed.

On 9/30/2016 at 2:12 AM, AzShooter said:

Learn to be confident and shoot as soon as your sight is in the center of the target.  In SC you don't have time to just sit there and watch the sight.  It's never going to be still so take the shot.  If you are calling your shots you will know a miss and will be able to make it up faster than a slow shot. 

Yep...

6 hours ago, joseywales said:

Current rulebook has no reference to power factor in D.2 of the rulebook - must have been dropped in latest revision, as scoring moved to sound-actuation on last shot fired.

Here's the 2011 SC Rule...references power factor in the context of an impact-actuated stop plate

And then in the 2008 Steel Challenge match book...reference to the power factor is for impact-actuated stop plate

First off, nice research skills!

Your post actually makes me realize something... back in the original days, the stop plate itself was the chronograph, so to speak.  In other words, if your ammo wasn't consistently triggering the stop plate, which was calibrated for 120pf, then you weren't making Power Factor.  How awesome is that!  Wouldn't it make life so much easier to check PF with a similar system today, rather than having to deal with a chrono station and pulled bullets?  Two plates, one calibrated exactly for 125, and the other for 165.  Shoot the 165, and if it triggers then you're major.  If not, shoot the 125, and if it triggers then you're safe for minor.  Easy!  And, hence the "tradition" of no chrono at Steel Challenge.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/26/2016 at 4:12 PM, bigtimelarry said:

in 2017 is the round count going to stay the same in Production - 10 Rounds.    It would be nice to load mags with more.. 

My goal is to only fire 5 times / string.  if I need to reload after 10+1.... just give me the 30! Put me out of my misery!! Lol.

1 hour ago, johnbu said:

My goal is to only fire 5 times / string.  if I need to reload after 10+1.... just give me the 30! Put me out of my misery!! Lol.

The Best in the World go to Slide Lock in Production, thats using all 11 rounds.   Your probably a Lot Better than they are.. LMAO..  

Max only loads 10 per mag regardless of the division in SC. If you have to shoot more than 5, unless you are KC, you are going to lose. In the electronic stop plate days they just fired up to 3 rounds at the stop plate because only the first one that hit mattered for the time. Without the electronic stop plate every extra shot at the stop plate costs you because they no longer allow backing up the timer. So if you fire 3 at the stop plate your time will be for 7 shots minimum assuming you had no makeups earlier.

4 hours ago, photoracer said:

Max only loads 10 per mag regardless of the division in SC. If you have to shoot more than 5, unless you are KC, you are going to lose. .

So if you fire more than 5 shots you wont win ?  What kind of BS is that.. ?  

There is an axiom in speed shooting that says you can't miss fast enough to win. So in a match you want to shoot at the fastest speed you can shoot without missing. Let the other guys do the missing.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

We are talking steel challenge....

5 targets each hit once and you're done.  time is the score for the string.

NOBODY "goes to slidelock" except new and D class shooters.

Were you thinking of some other sport?

9 hours ago, bigtimelarry said:

So if you fire more than 5 shots you wont win ?  What kind of BS is that.. ?  

5 hours ago, johnbu said:

We are talking steel challenge....

5 targets each hit once and you're done.  time is the score for the string.

NOBODY "goes to slidelock" except new and D class shooters.

Were you thinking of some other sport?

At the  26 - 33  second mark of this Video the Best in the World goes to Slide Lock.  Max Michel must be a  D  Class shooter I guess.

Maybe some day Max Michel can get some Personal Coaching from   Johnbu  and fight his way up to  A  Class one day.. 

Maybe  Johnbu  can respond..  Cant wait to hear it..

Edited by bigtimelarry

Max went to slide lock on one run because he missed a few. BJ never went to slide lock although he missed a few also. Don't interpret that because you saw one run go to slide lock that is the norm. It isn't, its only because they also miss just like normal humans, only faster. Even if I shot an entire match without missing I still would not beat Max, BJ, or KC no matter how many times they missed.

I started the ECSC match on my 2nd day with 2 straight clean stages in RFRO, a total of exactly 50 rounds fired. While none of my runs equaled my best ever in either stage I did lower my classification score on one of them by .5 seconds. So yes not missing is the best thing to do at any level.

Max says you pull the trigger when your dot, when moving around in the area of the target, is fully within the plate boundaries, not when it gets to the center. If your shots are grouping on the plate you are shooting too slow, you are waiting too long for the dot to settle down costing yourself time. The entire plate is a legal hit so you should be using it.

At last weekend's NSSF rimfire worlds they were using some plates that were about as small as legally allowed with a lot of separation, so waiting for the dot to settle down was the only thing to do (and hard). In SC every plate is 10" or larger, but in NSSF RC they can use 8" plates and be out as far as 35 yards for the rifles.

Edited by photoracer

6 hours ago, bigtimelarry said:

Let  Johnbu  answer to my post above..   the one where he said NOBODY  "goes to slidelock" except New and  D class shooters..

Did he win because of that string?

Would he have done better with a 30 round mag?

On 10/18/2016 at 8:50 AM, bigtimelarry said:

The Best in the World go to Slide Lock in Production, thats using all 11 rounds.   Your probably a Lot Better than they are.. LMAO..  

Let me elaborate the prior reply...

NOBODY goes to slide lock ....on purpose.

RO'ing I only see new shooters and D class shooters hit slide lock.  Maybe you see GM's battle, shooting 55 rounds per stage then go out for a few beers and listen to them lament about not being able to fire more rounds and be more competitive. We, at best, only have A shooters and a couple pushing towards M and they haven't learned how they should be shooting 11 times per string and not 5.  Maybe some day.

Nice trolling, by the way.

26 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Did he win because of that string?

Would he have done better with a 30 round mag?

Let me elaborate the prior reply...

NOBODY goes to slide lock ....on purpose.

RO'ing I only see new shooters and D class shooters hit slide lock.  Maybe you see GM's battle, shooting 55 rounds per stage then go out for a few beers and listen to them lament about not being able to fire more rounds and be more competitive. We, at best, only have A shooters and a couple pushing towards M and they haven't learned how they should be shooting 11 times per string and not 5.  Maybe some day.

Nice trolling, by the way.

Yeah Sure.. Nice backpedaling to your prior BS.  Maybe when you learn how to shoot, then come back with more of your Lame "Mr. Know it All" Posts..