Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Phoenix Trinity Aluminum Grip

Gooldylocks

Real simple, will they hold up to major on my open gun? I just found out my grip is cracked on my gun, which is the second plastic one this year. I don't want to keep having to buy plastic grips over and over again. 

I have never really wanted a metal grip because I kinda sorta think the additional weight is the opposite of what you want on an open gun, the comp should be doing the work to manage recoil. But aluminum might be an okay compromise, still light but in theory less likely to crack? 

Cracked around the mag release or somewhere else?  Asking because I cracked a polymer grip trying to insert a big stick loaded to 30 rds. too many times.  That thing took a lot of effort to get to lock in.

Yes at the mag release, no I don't think from shoving in too full of mags. My SV tube holds 29 easily reloadable, and my STI can near about get 30 but I only put 29 in. They aren't terribly tight when I put them in the gun.

I figured it was from reload practice. I do a fair but of that. And when the par starts to go lower and lower, you start slamming them harder and harder.

We have a Limited shooter (.40 Major) that cracked 2 of the aluminum STI grips.  He sold the last warranty replacement he got and bought the PT aluminum.  Not sure how many rounds he's got on it, but he's been shooting matches with it for at least 6 months now.

We have a Limited shooter (.40 Major) that cracked 2 of the aluminum STI grips.  He sold the last warranty replacement he got and bought the PT aluminum.  Not sure how many rounds he's got on it, but he's been shooting matches with it for at least 6 months now.

That's also a good sign

The STI aluminum grips are 6061 while the PT uses 7075 which is the aluminum equivalent of steel. Makes a big difference in durability, the only issue is machining 7075 which is much harder on tooling than 6061.

Ah yes yes that would be a big difference. I was a huge mountain biker for a number of years, so I have a limited knowledge about the different metals they use for frames. 7075 vs 6061 would be huge.

1 hour ago, ShadoFann said:

I've cracked two PT aluminum grips using them on 9 major open guns. They are great grips and I loved the way they felt but the aluminum doesn't hold up on an open gun. Get the SS, you'll be happy with it.

After discussion with Adam at Atlas, I am just going to stick with the plastic grips. It doesn't make monetary sense to put a metal grip on this gun. A huge shout out to him for being absolutely awesome to deal with on the phone, anilson you rock.

Hello, I've cracked three STI aluminum grips on my open 38 Supers, all paired to STI frames.  The crack is always in the same place, just above the mag release button up to the top of the grip area.  STI replaced two of them and they both cracked in no time at all.  I've gone back to plastic and have never had issues with them.  Also, you may find it interesting, the aluminum grips are not very forgiving during reloads when the mag insertion is off just a tad, the mag will bind at the mag well mouth and quite snugly.  By comparison, the plastic is very forgiving and smooth. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They (Al grips) really aren't recommended for Open guns.  Many people have had great success with them for high round counts, but there have been a few cracked Al grips from Open guns.  I'm not aware of any on LTD guns.  Open guns are just too violent.  The SS has a great track record on Open guns.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2016 at 5:46 PM, Dwampler22 said:

I have a set of PT AL grips. Doesn't really fit well with my racemaster holster. Lock up kinda sucks and snags the holster on the draw.

Which insert block for the Racemaster are you using?

1 hour ago, Dwampler22 said:

Just found out that I am using a SV with a PT grip.... I messed up lol ordering a new block now..

Sorry - hadn't checked in for a while.  Looks like you discovered what I was going to say, though.  With the PT insert from DAA, the PT grip fits flawlessly.  Nice, tight purchase on it and very smooth release.