Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gloves ??

PCKLST

Anyone wear gloves during a 3 gun match? I burnt my hand pretty bad at a club match today accidentally rotating the gun to far and the rib ended up in the web of my hand  when flipping it over onto my shoulder for a re-load. Or do you just practice keeping your hand on the fore grip and not touching any part of the hot barrel? Gloves or not I have a pretty solid reminder going forward to not try to go faster than my skills allow. If you do wear gloves any suggestions  on brand/style? Also if you do wear gloves do you just wear one on your support hand or both? Thanks

I see a few folks wearing a glove on their weak hand for exactly this reason. If you are loading shells with your strong hand, this is really not a problem. I would not want a glove on my strong/loading hand though - too much opportunity for problems with triggers and loading ports.

Any glove that is tight fitting and an appropriate thickness would work. There are lots of "tactical" gloves on the market if you want something that looks the part.

Thanks for the response. I will probably pick up a set of gloves and try them out, but at least keep them in the range bag just in case. I will mostly just practice more so my hand does not wonder that way..Should probably get some good practice while the swelling is there as I will know for sure if I grab to high..

I have done the same thing and now wear a thin leather baseball glove on my weak hand.   I have a tendency to be erratic with where I put my hand for the reloads so the glove thing works better for me.  Tried moleskin on the barrel and that does work...but I just couldn't stand the sight of it. 

When I lived in cold country (and when it was snowy/cold)  I used a baseball glove on my strong hand also, but cut the index finger off it. 

I don't think there is a callus thick or strong enough to avoid the burn that i received, but absolutely agree with learning not to get burned in the first place. I have tried to replicate what I did (cold barrel of course) and can not figure out what I did. But I am not under the pressure of the timer when at home practicing. 

I have some Pig Gloves and they are awesome. They fit around your hand really well, no wrinkles, etc. I like the idea of the baseball glove though, I'll have to take a look at them. If I just need to wear gloves because of weather, yes we shoot in the rain in Florida, I wear golf gloves. I doubt they'd help against a hot barrel though. 

I have neuropathy of both hands and used to regularly blister one or both depending on how I reloaded my 625 revolver. I tended to hold onto hot parts too long. Went to golf gloves on both hands and haven't had a problem since. I found the cheapie synthetic type gets a better grip than the leather type. I also cut off the trigger finger at the first knuckle out from the palm. Stops the glove hanging up on the trigger guard.

Naval Aviator - N Viet Nam

NRA LIFE & ENDOWMENT

The PIG gloves and golf gloves fit tight around your hand and fingers yet stretch when you move or close your hands. Mechanix Wear gloves don't do that. They are a bit bulky and tend to fold up and make bulges. Golf gloves should be really tight when new because they stretch out. I don't need to cut the trigger finger on either my golf or PIG gloves. Try some synthetic leather golf gloves, they will work better than leather for this application. The hard part will be finding one for your right hand, assuming you want them for both hands. 

I know of two other people who wear PIG gloves, even for just pistol matches. I tend to only wear mine for rifle and shotgun but I have worn them shooting a pistol and it didn't seem to hinder me in any way. I am going to try my golf gloves on a hot barrel soon and see how it works. They are much thinner than the PIG gloves. 

If I need to use a glove then I use one only on my week hand. I just use a set I bought from Home Depot for about $15, they do a good job and then I just put on the other glove when I help reset steel.

Shot my first shotgun only match on Sunday and didn't even think about wearing a glove. After the first stage I learned that I need to start wearing a glove on my weak hand after grabbing the rib one too many times.

I received a pair of PIG gloves the other night..They feel great. I put some small stuff in my pockets and had no problem retrieving them with the gloves on. Did some dry fire while wearing them and they appear to not interfere with anything so far. The only thing that I haven't tried yet is live fire or quad loading. I am most concerned with the quad loading, not the loading part but the grab from the caddie. Hopefully I can sneak away from work soon to give them a real try with all three guns at the range. I will update once I get a chance to do some live fire. 

• 1 month later...

Around here, you will catch a ration of sh%t fpr wearing gloves of any sort. You will be mercilessly called everything from Michael Jackson to Dick Marcincko.

So, we all just walk around with burnt left hands, smug in our manly toughness, and wiping with our right hands...... 

On 12/1/2016 at 7:56 AM, NoKimberDave said:

Around here, you will catch a ration of sh%t fpr wearing gloves of any sort. You will be mercilessly called everything from Michael Jackson to Dick Marcincko.

So, we all just walk around with burnt left hands, smug in our manly toughness, and wiping with our right hands...... 

That is funny as I did get a couple of the Michael Jackson comments at the last local match. But if I was concerned with how things looked I wouldn't be roaming the range with a (tactical) stroller, a +10 tube sticking out of the front of my shotgun, three pistol mags with +5 base plates, and two 60 round AR mags, as well as what feels like 10 pounds of gear attached to a belt around my waist. So I think I will stick with the glove for now..HaHa

On 12/6/2016 at 9:13 PM, PCKLST said:

That is funny as I did get a couple of the Michael Jackson comments at the last local match. But if I was concerned with how things looked I wouldn't be roaming the range with a (tactical) stroller, a +10 tube sticking out of the front of my shotgun, three pistol mags with +5 base plates, and two 60 round AR mags, as well as what feels like 10 pounds of gear attached to a belt around my waist. So I think I will stick with the glove for now..HaHa

Wear it with pride my friend. Wear it with pride.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The PIG gloves are very good, I have almost worn out my first pair of them, got them a couple years ago. I have shot a ton of rifle and pistol with them, they are 10x better than the golf rain gloves I used to use in cold weather. They have protected my hands well from moderate cold, sun, sharp gun parts and hot gun parts.

I have been practicing loading the shotgun with them, I can stick my doubles and quads weak or strong hand no problem.

I may be weird (yeah I have the stroller, 10 rd tube, goofy belt, etc...) but I have always used a pair of leather work gloves for resetting targets, setup, and teardown. They also get stored in their own plastic bag, I don't want to contaminate my stuff with lead anymore than it already is. So I shoot with shooting gloves, and work with work gloves.