Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Books are Awesome! Subtitled, do you even read bro?

SCTaylor

Seriously, they are! I've found myself searching for information in an effort to short circuit the learning curve with books and podcasts. No one can't expect to go from scrub to GM in nothing flat, however, learning the different methods successful shooters utilize can help tremendously. Now, I have not fully realized how much this is helping yet, but it has led me to a question.

How many actually read books by Brian Enos, Ben Stoeger, Steve Anderson, Lanny Bassham, Matt Burkett, Sal Kirsch, etc.?  The reason I ask is due to the common questions or themes that come up on forums and podcasts are thoroughly covered in the books. It seems many are either not buying the books or simply buying them for decoration.  The drills, mindset, mechanics, and practice routines contained in those books are a goldmine.

Why would one not take advantage? They are the cheapest investment in our sport! They never need to be reloaded, cleaned, or maintained!

Edited by SCTaylor

Wow, I did not expect such a lack of response but suppose that answers my question.

They are great but I would take a class from a GM if I could. 

No doubt. I certainly do not see the materials as a replacement for in person training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've read all the shooting books and have learned a lot.  Brian's book was the most interesting and the hardest to comprehend.  I've read it no less than 5 times.  There is so much information there..

Don't forget reading books for mental control.  Psycho Cybernetics by Maxwell Malts is my favorite.   It really got my mind together and helped me know I could do stuff that was difficult.  It's all in the manner you think about it.  

I was talking to a friend about archery.  He was a great shot but said he always had trouble with his last shot of the tournament.  Got nervous and would miss it.  I learned that it's easy to make that hard shot.  After all, you just made 59 perfect shots.  The last shot can't be missed.  So I shot a number of perfect 300s. 

If you think you can do it you can.

I have read Brian's book twice.  Once when I understood nothing and got very little out of it.  Once when I understood some things and got quite a bit more.  I'm probably due to read it again.

I have and am actively using Refinement and Repetition from Steve Anderson.  I will likely have "Get to Work" in the coming months as well.

A lot of the stuff is so esoteric that even reading it may make sense but you have to believe it and feel it before it clicks.

After using R&R for about a month, it was one podcast that really changed everything I thought about dryfire though.  I didn't get it from the book although it may be in Get to Work.  I was doing all my dryfire in match mode and not making much gain.  One podcast changed my par times by ~25% two nights later and the speed gains are noticeable in live fire as well.

• 2 months later...

The first reading of Brian's book left me a bit deflated. Very esoteric.

However, as I began to shoot more I became able to grasp more of what he was trying to convey.

I figure in another 250,000 rounds and 50, or 60, re-reads, I should pretty much have it down pat.  :lol:

This thread is nearly 3 months old, five replies from mostly junior shooters such as myself (AzShooter not included). Something as simple as research/reading, making a plan, and sticking to a plan doesn't seem important enough to many of those who express a desire to move up in classifications. These books have lay a foundation, a solid double mat foundation, on which to build skills. It is interesting to see, or not see, how seriously each person takes the sport.

Edited by SCTaylor

Brian's book is somewhat hard to read, but the more I shot the more it made sense.  As I started to learn what to "see" and "feel" in order to make the shot, suddenly the book just clicked for me.  I was doing Bill Drills at the range one day and it was like I was watching the gun cycle and the brass fly while the subconscious was doing all the work.  From that point on it all became easier.  I took a long break and came back to the sport, but I was in a different city and did not have good range access to practice.  But I was able to re-create the "seeing" and "feeling" during what little practice I was able to do, plus in the matches and it just all came back easily.  It was an eye opener to find out that you did not have to pound so many rounds downrange to get where you needed to be.

Just seeing this post now. I have to admit I havent read many books. I have steve andersons RR which was the first book I bought and it started me into dryfiring. Just recently bought with winning in mind and feel I have got a lot out of that short simple book, not only applied to shooting but all aspects of life. (work, home life) That book is a must I feel if you are into any kind of competition or have a competitive nature. I have recently bought Ben Stoegers books and for dry fire I feel those are the most helpful so far. Steve Andersons was a good start but for me Ben's books give you a lot more insight and directive when it comes to dryfire and training. What is tough for me is time management i guess.  I want to dryfire as much as I can and read the books I have cover to cover at the same time there are only so many hours in a day though. If I was single I would have probably read them all by now and bought Enos book lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Great topic. 

In pursuit of not sucking at shooting, have read.

Enos

Stoeger (all)

Seeklander

Anderson (all)

Bassham (with winning in mind)

Kirsch

Musashi (five rings)

Anthony Camera (shooting the stick bow)

Jack Nicklaus (golf my way)

Tim Gallwey (inner game of tennis)

Robert Coram (Boyd) 

Laurance Gonzales (deep survival)

The books by the modern shooting greats above are obvious compulsory reads, the crossover books by Bassham, Gallwey, and Nicklaus transcended sports and made The mental awareness thing really click.

the last two are a part of my professional life's reading list and may be tangential to shooting sports but I believe will resonate....

Gonzales book made me really question and examine my own aptitude. 

the book on Boyd, well, it's just a damm fine guide to kicking ass. 

Edited by Ultimo-Hombre

• 2 weeks later...
Ever stop and think , those guys didn't become GMs by reading books ?  [emoji4]

Yes, but do you not think in their quest to become top performers they did not read, watch, talk, and learn from the best of their era?

That's my entire point. Use the available information to shorten the duration of the learning curve.

On 1/10/2017 at 8:03 PM, SCTaylor said:

Yes, but do you not think in their quest to become top performers they did not read, watch, talk, and learn from the best of their era?

That's my entire point. Use the available information to shorten the duration of the learning curve.

During the learning curve, I scavenged info from any available means... Read golf and tennis books (no practical shooting books at that time), books on rifle shooting, anything that had any sort of mental discipline info... And milked the crap out of any shooter on the range that was better than I was, or that was better at maybe just one specific skill set than I was. 

Then took everything useful from that, and added it to never-ending dry fire and range time routines. 

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 3:25 PM, benos said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. My goal for the book was for it not to be a "read it once and done" deal.

I don't know anyone who could read your book and  comprehend it all in just one reading.  I've probably read in 5-6 times in several different Countries!!  And yes I've read and own Saul's book, Steve Anderson's dry fire books, Ben Stoeger's dry fire books, Matt Burkett's video, and Seeklander's book.....