Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are the pro's and cons of building open gun on a para ord frame

Mrguns

Like the title said, I have this extra para P14-45 frame I'm thinking of converting to open, got most of the parts I need and since the big stick are easier to find now (MBX) as well but i'm still on fence whether to use the frame or fork out the extra cash and buy a 2011 frame. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Nothing wrong with it.  I have three open guns in the safe build on Para frames.  Two are in 45 ACP (1985 vintage) and one is 9x21 (1995 vintage).  Nothing wrong with any of them.  They are all strong shooters.

I would recommend you use STI/SVI magazines rather than Para magazines.  Reloads are so much smoother.  Back then, all it required was a little modification to the magazine catch.

If you watch closely, you do see the occasional Para open gun at matches, but they are few and far between.

32 minutes ago, kimberacp said:

the only issue IMO, is the dust cover, maybe.    and I agree on using S_I magazines, in any para build.

Yup, the dust cover is pretty thin and does not last when drilled and tapped for a scope mount. You could braze/weld/whatever some additional metal to the frame to strengthen it.

Example:

MountHoleCrack.jpg

45 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Yup, the dust cover is pretty thin and does not last when drilled and tapped for a scope mount. You could braze/weld/whatever some additional metal to the frame to strengthen it.

Example:

MountHoleCrack.jpg

that was my next question. 

1 hour ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Nothing wrong with it.  I have three open guns in the safe build on Para frames.  Two are in 45 ACP (1985 vintage) and one is 9x21 (1995 vintage).  Nothing wrong with any of them.  They are all strong shooters.

I would recommend you use STI/SVI magazines rather than Para magazines.  Reloads are so much smoother.  Back then, all it required was a little modification to the magazine catch.

If you watch closely, you do see the occasional Para open gun at matches, but they are few and far between.

What mount are your using on your open para's, single sided or c-more serendepit? 

On one I have a serendipity style mount that bolts to both sides of the dustcover.  The others have the old EGW Red Buff mount that mounts above the left grip and replaces the plunger tube.  They were special ordered with the rail cut off and milled to fit a C-more sight.  I don't know if they are still available.

Do caspian frames have the same issue or are they thicker? It would seem, to an uneducated me, that if they would hold up we might start to see a resurgence of guns built on caspian frames now that reliable 140s and 170s are going to widely available from MBX. You can buy a complete frame for less than a steel grip for a 2011, which should drive down the cost of builds.

But I've got no experience in that field, so I defer to those that do.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, BeerBaron said:

0.050 is very thin. that's 1.27mm. I'd say the standard STI type frame would be closer to 1.8mm and the wide frame 2mm or more. someone with a frame handy can measure for you i'm sure. :)

A measurement would be great, I will have some material welded on to make it stronger. I will be using a 90degree cmore mount so that's a bit of force on the mounting screws