Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry eyes. Help needed

hwansikcjswo

Hi. I suffer from pretty bad dry eyes. I grew up playing too much computer game and riding motorcycle. 

I cannot open my eyes wide without blinking a lot. It starts hurting quickly if I try to do so.

I visited a doctor last year and all he told me was "use the eye-drops".

Is there any other advice than that?

I would like to shoot without blinking a lot or eye pain

2 hours ago, my00wrx1 said:

Go and see an Optomertrist and get your eyes checked.  

+1, during allergy season I use over the counter antihistamine eye drops.  They work for about 11-12 hours and work best if you use them right when you wake up before rubbing your eyes.

20 hours ago, hwansikcjswo said:

I visited a doctor last year and all he told me was "use the eye-drops".

I have a dry eye issue also...both on windy days and due to allergies. One thing both my allergist and optometrist pointed out to me is that not all "eye drops" are for dry eyes. Some are for redness (ex., Visine Original). Some are merely diluted saline solution (ex., Liquid Tears).

Contact solutions are useless for combatting dry eyes in my experience and their opinion - except in very general terms. Basically, they said it's no more useful than Liquid Tears/saline solution - mainly because it doesn't last very long.

For dry eyes, I/You want some with a lubricant in it. For ex., Walmart's generic brand Equate Dry Eye Relief has 0.3% Glycerine and 1% Propylene Glycol. I won't recommend that, per se, but it does work for me.

In addition, I always use "wrap around", over-glasses when shooting (over-glasses because I always wear prescription glasses). I have occasionally (really windy days) used actual goggles (think old motorcycle style with leather around the frame). I also find that wearing the wrong hat/cap can direct/funnel wind into the area between my eyeglasses and my eyes which certainly dries the eyes out quickly.

Refresh Liquigel. It's a blue bottle. Pricey but it's good. There is a product I think is prescription too that causes the eyes to make more tears. 

Im very fortunate we have an eye doctor local who is frickin brilliant. I heard about him from a friend who's mom struggled for years with dry eyes. She found this guy, he sees her tear ducts are blocked and in a few weeks w script drops and otc stuff he had her sorted. I've sent a dozen people to him. if you're even in Fresno see Shaw Yorizane. 

Red

The first thing you need, is an in depth evaluation as to what is causing your problem. The tear is made of several components. All must be present and in the proper amounts to work properly. There is a big difference between quantity and quality. The eye depends of the flow of tears to provide constant moisture and lubrication to maintain vision and comfort. Is your problem a lack of tear? is your problem a lack of quality tear? Think of the eye as a sink. There should be tear flowing in and tear draining out, but there should always be a certain level maintained in the basin. If the faucet gets turned down the basin runs dry. You can increase the fluid going in by constant use of replacement tears( drops) or you can partially block the drain ( punctal occlussion) to increase the level in the basin, or you can increase the production of tears by medication( Restasis). Temporarily you can use anti inflamatories to give relief to the discomfort. If the cause is allergies, you can treat the allergy. There are so many causes and the treatment must be custom tailored to the patient's needs and to the causes of the problem. You need to see someone who has treated dry eye problems. Anyone can tell you to use drops. A doctor should be able to treat the problem. I have treated many patients for mild to very severe dry eye issues. The one thing I can tell you is that all dry eye problems can be successfully treated. Sometimes the answer is as simple as putting a humidifier in your bedroom at bedtime. Find a doctor in your area that treats this problem. Remember that  severe dry eye issues may take months to clear up and then must be constantly maintained. The relief will be worth it.